|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Bacton Wood Mill|
A watermill of about 1780, three storeys high with an attic flat and a weatherboarded sack hoist. A miller's house is attached. Much of the old mill machinery remains, together with some wheels and pulleys for a 20th century oil engine that replaced the original water power. It is understood that the mill has been converted to residential use.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2999 3067|
|Parish:||BACTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|NORTH WALSHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Brick mill building with weatherboarded sack hoist, on brick arch over tiny mill stream. Miller's house attached. Being converted.
Birthplace of Sir William Cubitt, inventor of mill machinery and the prison treadmill. Marked on (S1). (S2) lists as built in about.1780. Roof of concrete tiles. Three storeys and attic. Brick plinth. Door to right, two windows left, all segmental arched. Milling floor with double access doors and window. Two windows second floor. The sack hoist lucam rises to ridge of roof and has side windows. Rear wall as façade but without sack hoist. Timber staircase to attic flat. Brick bridge over leat to internal undershot waterwheel, which drives wallower and pit wheel on upright shaft. Immediately above great spur wheel drives stone nuts and governors. Additional wheels and pulleys for 20th century oil engine. Milling floors with four pairs of stones, one fitted with lifting crane and strapband. Second floor has crownwheel, layshaft, sackhoist machinery. Attic floor coverted to domestic. Millers house attached, two storeys, three bays, central door under gabled porch all details 20th century. Information from (S2).
E. Rose (NAU) 8 August 1986.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1780 AD? to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: Photographs of Bacton Wood Mill, Bacton. Black & white. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
Related records - none
Find out more...