|Type of record:||Building|
This timber framed L shaped Tudor house was destroyed by fire in 1978. The lower floors were plastered and internal walls remained with daub. It has since been rebuilt. A pond to the west of the house may be the remains of a medieval moat.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2828 8983|
|Parish:||DENTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Farmhouse destroyed by fire 1978.
See (S1) and (S2).
L-shaped house, timber framed, lower storeys covered in plaster. East wall of 'foot' and of main house show jettied revealed timber framing - that on main house perhaps renewed. Original chimney stack on south wall of 'foot', and traces of another in centre of main block. One room survived fire and showed good internal timbering with daub. Another original room had been at northwest, but 'restorations' had removed most of the original 16th century work before the fire.
E. Rose (NAU), 1978.
Rebuilding of house, as shown in sale advertisement (S2) is very different from original, following only the basic plan and general appearance. Some of the original materials are said to have been reused. The date of the original seems, from the photographs, to have been more probably 17th than 16th century.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 November 1987.
June 2000. Visit.
Remains consist of pond to west of house - no other earthworks seen under long grass.
H. Paterson (A&E), 5 July 2000.
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Denton. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: NARG. Building Survey. 15 June 1978. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: 1978. Eastern Daily Press. 25 April. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: 1987. Eastern Daily Press. 6 November. 2. |
Related records - none
Find out more...