|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Late Bronze Age hoard found at Gorleston on Sea|
A Late Bronze Age hoard of over thirty objects, including copper alloy socketed axes, spearheads, sword fragments and a jet were found during bulldozing in 1962 and laying a sewer in 1966. The hoard may be a metalworker's collection of material buried for safekeeping. This was found close to another Bronze Age hoard (NHER 10556).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||Not displayed|
|Parish:||GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
?1962. While bulldozing. 
Between ten and twenty bronze axes found by driver. Two seen by .
Information from .
?1966. Hoard II.
Six socketed axes.
Spearheads - two broken.
?Two complete ones.
Information from .
Sword - hilt and blade tip fragment.
Jet (casting debris).
See (S1) and (S2) in file.
E. B. Green (NCM).
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- AXEHEAD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- HOARD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- SOCKETED AXEHEAD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- SPEAR (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- SWORD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in serial: Watson, P. J. et al. 1999. Antiquities from Norfolk in West Midlands Museums. Norfolk Archaeology. vol XLIII Pt II pp 332-338. |
|---||Photograph: Gorleston-on-Sea Hoard II. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Yarmouth (great) . |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: 1966. Eastern Evening News. 25 February. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Finds Illustrations. |
Related records - none
Find out more...