Record Details

NHER Number:10363
Type of record:Building
Name:St Margaret's Church, Cantley

Summary

This medieval church was restored in about 1867. A few pieces of Roman architectural stone have been reused and incorporated into the nave walls. There are two 14th century stone coffin lids in the churchyard. The inspection of contractor's trenches revealed a wall from an unknown structure, several medieval limestone coffins and a medieval or post medieval knife.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3817 0414
Map Sheet:TG30SE
Parish:CANTLEY, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Two stone coffin lids listed in yard.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).

February 1998. Inspection of contractor's trenches and discoveries by contractors.
Late medieval transistional ware sherd.
Medieval/post medieval knife.
Medieval stone coffins, wall of ?sacristy.
See (S2), (S3) and X-ray (S4) in file.
The two listed lids may belong to these coffins.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 6 March 1998.

Dr J. Allen of Reading University notes the presence of reused Roman stone similar to that of which Reedham church is built. He notes a few pieces in the nave.
E. Rose (NLA), 18 October 2001.

August 2005.
Medieval, restored about 1867. Flint with stone dressings, lead and slate roofs. Two stage west tower, nave, south porch, south transeptal chapel, north vestry and chancel. Interior mainly 19th century.
See (S1).
Above priest's doorway is reset piece of Norman zigzag. West tower has late 14th century arch to the nave. 14th century south doorway. Perpendicular nave windows and one Perpendicular chancel window. Chancel and north vestry windows have Y tracery but they probably date from the restoration of about 1867, as does the east window.
See (S5).
D.Robertson (NLA), 30 August 2005.

July 2008.
Medieval pottery and roof tile.
See list in file
A. Rogerson, (NLA), 21 November 2009

May 2009.
Proposed footpath through the church grounds.
See (S5) for more details
H. White (NLA), 5 June 2009

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • KNIFE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • KNIFE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..
<S3>Unpublished document: Rogerson, A. (NLA). 1998. Site report. 4 March.
<S4>Photograph: X ray.
<S5>Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..

Related records

MNO5273Related to: Tombstone 20cm west of St. Margaret's Ch. adj to S tower corner CANTLEY (Revoked)
MNO5289Related to: Tombstone, 20cm west of St. Margaret's Church CANTLEY (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service