|Type of record:||Building|
This country house, now a private school, was built in Palladian style around 1740 by Matthew Brettingham although remnants of an earlier house dated to around 1730 are incorporated into the structure. A stable block was constructed at the same time - this is now used as classrooms. The Greek style Doric porch of the main house was added in the 19th century and the building was completely remodelled in 1849 by the addition of two four storey corner towers by Anthony Salvin.
Images - none
House listed Grade I; stable block listed in Chedgrave parish as Grade II.
Designed by Brettingham and built 1741. Greek Doric porch around 1830. Possible remnants of earlier house around 1730 incorporated. Wings rebuilt by Savin 1849. Fine interiors. Dining room may be a re-erection.
See detailed description in (S1) and (S2).
Letter and photographs of chimney piece published in (S3). Author believes to be the work of Sir Henry Cheere and likens to another at Picton (Pembrokeshire).
A. Yardy (HES), 29 January 2013.
Library restored in 1981 (hall now school).
(S3) largely compiled in 1740s to 70s, includes drawing of facade, also 'a pair of banqueting houses'.
E. Rose (NAU), 1981.
According to (S4) and (S5) the property belonged to Langley Abbey. The house built around 1730 for the Berney family was largely demolished to pay off debts in 1737 and George Proctor commissioned Brettingham the Elder to build the present hall 1734-41. Alterations by Salvin and Doric portico around 1820. Original stables of 1741. Conservatory added 1865, demolished about 1930. The apparent contradiction in the dates is present int the Registers without comment.
1977. Stray Find.
Palaeolithic flint handaxe found when gardening in walled garden to east of hall. Now recorded under NHER 59993.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 27 February 2014.
See set of notes in file published by the school, particularly about the plasterwork. Tourist-type visit made by E.Rose (NLA) 6 April 1998 but detailed analysis not done; confirmed in good condition, although only fragments of walled garden survive.
Rouen glass of about 1600 from the Hall has been given to Norwich Cathedral.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 January 2001.
- CONSERVATORY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SCHOOL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG3500 D,E,G,H-L,Q-S. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980-1981. [Articles on the restoration work of the library at Langley School]. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 30 SE 7. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. pp 240-242; Pl 59. |
|---||Article in Serial: Oliver Brackett. 1927. Langley Park, Norfolk.. Country Life. 2 July, pp6. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Langley with Hardley. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 510-513; Pl 90, Pl 92. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1306509. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Jevons, John H. W.. 1960. Chimney-pieces by Cheere. Country Life. |
|<S4>||Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1740. |
|<S5>||Designation: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England.. 1001008. |
|<S6>||Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. [unknown]. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk.. |
|30467||Related to: Langley Park (Monument)|
Find out more...