|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Ashby St Mary|
A medieval parish church dating mainly from the 13th century, but with Norman and Early English details. In the churchyard there are two unusual late 19th-century headstones depicting flocks of geese and turkeys.
|Grid Reference:||TG 32928 02234|
|Parish:||ASHBY ST MARY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Conglomerate quoins to nave west, and fossil east in south wall. Fine Norman south door, one Norman window. Chancel about 1200. Tower and several windows 15th century. South porch 16th century. Wagon ceiling, buttresses 1834. Several good items of 17th century woodwork. Unusual font - date? Listed Grade II*.
See (S1) and (S2). Illustration in file.
E. Rose, (NAU) 7 July 1988.
Present chancel is certainly Early English but perhaps not as early as 1200. Alterations of the 17th century and 18th century are apparent. There was clearly a later 19th century restoration as well as 1834. See (S3).
E. Rose (NLA), 15 February 2003.
February 2005. Found during building work.
Medieval floor tiles. Details in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 February 2005.
See (S4) for further details and photographs of the unusual gravestones.
H. White (NLA), 14 May 2009
- CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FONT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GRAVESTONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|---||Leaflet: The Bramerton Group.. Eleven Churches.. Norwich Printing Services.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. Building Report.. |
|<S2>||Photograph: EGM 10-11 (tombstones). |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 2003. Building Report.. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. Stories in the gravestones.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...