|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Lawrence's Church, Brundall|
A small church with a 13th century nave, chancel and bellcote. The north aisle was added in 1900, and the nave was extended westwards in the 1970s. The church contents include a 13th century font, the only lead one in Norfolk.
|Grid Reference:||TG 3216 0845|
|Parish:||BRUNDALL, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
13th and 19th centuries.
26 September 1979. Visit.
Largely renewed in 1900 when north aisle added. West nave extension of 1970s. South doorway apparently 13th century and two south windows are cusped lancets, though restored. Bellcote, double seems to be also 13th century, though restored in places in same brickwork that has been used for the eaves when roof replaced. East window, Perpendicular style but of 1900 in present form, has quatrefoil over.
Restored cusped piscina. 13th century lead font (unique in Norfolk). 18th century floor tombs. Cubitt memorial of 1831 has fine carving of ship. Old clock. 16th century Dutch stained glass roundel mentioned by (S1) not found. West window by Kempe 1903 reset in new extension. Stem of Elizabethan chalice with new bowl (S1).
In yard, two 18th century stone coffins with raised crosses on lids found, one contained a helmet. See (S2).
The above reference also refers to the thatched roof being removed in 1705 and that in 1735 the church appeared as 'part of an old one ruined, and an addition thereunto'.
Extension proposals (S3) in file.
February 2008. Building survey.
Tall western archway resembles a late medieval tower arch and suggests that the church once had a western tower.
Interior- earliest part of the building is a late Romaesque capital of mid to late 12th century. It is not in situ and is reused as a corbel for the aisle roof. It was probably part of a doorway perhaps belonging to a Norman church preceding the present building. Also of interest is the cast lead font, one of only 27 surviving in the country. It is decorated with repeated crucifixion representations in relief, with each scene enclosed in decorated borders. These decorations are not typically medieval and may date the piece to the 16th century.
See (S4) for further information.
H White (NLA), 17 November 2008.
September 2009. Field Observation.
Wall footing exposed in shallow trench south of western extension, possibly the remains of a porch or tower.
See Unpublished Document (S7), Photographs (S8) and Illustration (S9).
A. Rogerson (NLA), 14 September 2009. Amended by A. Beckham (HES), 12 June 2017.
Evidence of extended roofline, extensions carried out around 1860, after the removal of the old thatched roof. Font believed to be the only one of its kind in Norfolk, as it is lead cased and dating from the 13 Cent. The font depicts the crucifixion and fleurs-de-lys.
See (S5) for further details.
L. Allison (NLA) 4 August 2010.
Churchwardens include the noted Ffiske family and Henry Ffiske was warden of St Laurence Church between 1904 and 1928, donating the lychgate in 1909 and then the rood screen in 1911.
See (S6) for further details.
L. Allison (NLA), 5 August 2010.
- CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 2050 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CAPITAL (Medieval - 1150 AD to 1199 AD)
- COFFIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HELMET (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1997. TG 3209A. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 416. |
|---||Monograph: Brundall Local History Group. 2007. The Book of Brundall and Braydeston. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010-2011. [Articles on the proposed plans for an extension at St Lawrence's Church, Brundall]. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Brundall. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 104. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Blake, W. J. 1946. Parson Russell's Reply to Blomefield's Queries. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXIX pp 164-180. p 166. |
|<S3>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2008. S. Heywood Report. The Church of St Laurence, Brundall.. |
|<S6>||Monograph: Brundall Local History Group. 2007. The Book of Brundall and Braydeston. p 17. |
|<S7>||Unpublished Document: Rogerson, A. 2009. Report on a site visit to St Lawrence's church, Brundall, September 2009. |
|<S8>||Photograph: Rogerson, A. 2009. Photographs of a trench dug during the installation of a bench at St Lawrence's church, Brundall, September 2009. Digital. jpeg. |
|<S9>||Illustration: Rogerson, A. 2009. Plan of a trench dug during the installation of a bench at St Lawrence's church, Brundall, September 2009. Film. 1:20. |
Related records - none
Find out more...