|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Lacey and Lincoln's brick works|
The two buried kilns at this brickworks site produced white bricks in the first half of the 20th century. The brickworks closed down around 1940.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2157 9985|
|Parish:||NEWTON FLOTMAN, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|SWAINSTHORPE, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
September 1980. Visit.
Old brickworks. Area of this now covered by a rash of new farm buildings, concrete sheds etc.
E. Rose (NAU), 4 September 1980.
This pit was formerly Lacey & Lincoln's. Two buried kilns (one each side of road) produced white bricks. Ironwork of donkey powered washpit survives. Yard not listed pre 1912, closed down around 1940.
Information from Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society, October 1980.
Despite the above information which seems to have come from a Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Newsletter - there is no Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society file - the (S1) shows the yard, and both kilns are shown south of the road. Copy in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 January 1998.
- BRICKWORKS (Modern to World War Two - 1912 AD? to 1940 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...