Record Details

NHER Number:9959
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Neolithic polished stone axehead

Summary

In 1954 a Neolithic polished stone axehead was recovered from this site.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 1562 9983
Map Sheet:TM19NE
Parish:WRENINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

'About 1960. Polished stone axehead (NCM L.1970.1), surface find on sandy field, part of Fir Grove Farm. Sliced soon after discovery - Whin Sill Group XVIII N125 (Prof F. W. Shotton)'. (S1).
NCM card.

When Farm visited by E. Rose (NAU), 7 August 1978 source stated that this was really the same as the axe recorded by NCM as TM 19 NE/21, formerly county number NHER 9960 - '1954. Stone axe found northeast of Fir Grove'.
When it was first found informant 1 gave it to daughter of informant 2 who was at Birmingham University; later it was returned and he loaned it to NCM not knowing it had been reported by informant 2.
The grid ref for NHER 9959 is the correct one, but it was found in 1954.
E. Rose (NAU).

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)

Associated Finds

  • POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Neolithic. Wreningham.
---Article in Serial: Williams-Thorpe, O., Webb, P. C. and Jones, M. C. 2003. Non-destructive geochemical and magnetic characterisation of Group XVIII dolerite stone axes and shaft-hole implements from England. Journal of Archaeological Science. Vol 30 pp 1237-1267.
<S1>Article in Serial: Clough, T. H. Mck. and Green, B. 1972. The petrological identification of stone implements from East Anglia. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Vol 38 pp 108-155.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service