Record Details

NHER Number:9768
Type of record:Building
Name:St Remigius' Church, Dunston

Summary

St Remigius' church is a small building with a chancel and north doorway, from which the church is entered, in the Early English style. The west tower is in the Decorated style, although it was almost completely rebuilt in 1898. The nave, in the Decorated style, was also restored, when the east window was given an attractive inner screen of tracery in alabaster. Inside, there is a delightful 15th century rood screen, as well as fragments of early stained glass dating to around 1300, reset in 1873.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2285 0223
Map Sheet:TG20SW
Parish:DUNSTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
STOKE HOLY CROSS, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Chancel and north doorway Early English style, early lancets, southwest one lower at base than others - did it incorporate a low side-window? west tower Decorated style with vice with external door. Nave early Perpendicular style but all over restored in 1898, when east window installed in same style, with alabaster inner screen. Medieval brick though still forms jambs of belfry windows. Mark of old nave roof, so present one on solid-arched-brackets must be
late. Carved Perpendicular style font. Early Perpendicular style rood screen, much restored. Some original poppyhead benches in chancel and tower. Southeast chancel window has good medieval stained glass of St Christopher and St Remigius with donor. Good armorial and inscribed 17th - 18th century floor tombs, and two good wall tablets, all to members of Long family. Brass 1649, Clers Talbot and two wives in shrouds, armorial bearings carved in the stone, inscription plate missing, now covered by a heavy seat at risk of damage. Base of a stone coffin lid with cross (by south door). Gothick organ case. Two good Gothic Revival iron grilles in tower, on each side, said to ventilate former banner staff lockers (why?) Good gravestones in yard.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU), 1 March 1979.

The Dunston Road Order of 1839 is stated to show part of a possible moat encirling the churchyard. However, on the 1849 tithe map this is shown as a road. Dunston Common Lane also used to approach the north side of the churchyard in the 18th century.
See NAU report (S1) filed under NHER 29734.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 20 October 1993.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • MOAT? (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOD SCREEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG2202G, H.
<S1>Unpublished document: Forrest, K.. 1993. NAU Report No. 20. Evaluation Report Dunston Hall, Stoke Holy Cross, Norfolk..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service