|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Stoke Hall and former farm buildings|
Stoke Hall is known to have been rebuilt in 1852, though whether it was in existence before is uncertain. The building was largely demolished in 1937, but the stable block and tower survive, though it is thought they are derelict. The extent of this site has been increased to take in the former location of the farm buildings, now demolished.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2444 0062|
|Parish:||STOKE HOLY CROSS, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Elizabethan, had oak chimneypiece with arms of Charles II, said to be from Sir Thomas Browne's house in Norwich. Gladstone stayed here. Demolished 1937.
Information from Bolingbroke Collection.
The site of the hall itself is a pit and mounds of soil in the midst of the overgrown platform which still has abrupt faces on south and west. 19th century stable block with Rhineland style tower remains, semi-derelict.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU), 1 March 1979.
Owner claims the whole hall was only of 1850, there being nothing on the site before; but the 1836 1 inch Ordnance Survey map (S1) marks 'Warren Farm' here. Probably the old hall had degenerated into a farm and was re-edified in 1850.
E. Rose (NAU).
An anonymous 'History of Stoke' pamphlet seen by E. Rose (NAU) January 1982 gives the date of completion as 1852.
E.Rose (NAU), 19 January 1982.
House called Woodlands in Stoke Village on edge of grounds built in 1937 from bricks from hall; bricks said by surveyor
to be 'of great age'.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU).
(S2) calls Warren Farm Gurney's Farm.
E. Rose (NLA), 7 June 2002.
The hall was designed by Salvin.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 July 2005.
March 2009. Norfolk NMP.
The extent of this site has been increased to take in the former location of the farm buildings, now demolished. The central grid reference has been altered from TG 2439 0066 to TG 2446 0061.
The 1844 Stoke Holy Cross Tithe map (S3) shows the location of the farm buildings, referred to as Gurney (Bryant’s map, 1826) or Warren Farm (Ordnance Survey first edition, 1 inch, 1826) (S1-S2). The HER site has been extended to include the former location of these farm buildings, now demolished. The site is now centred on TG 2446 0061. The above entries suggest that the farm may have represented a degenerated Elizabethan Hall, although the evidence for this is currently limited. The former extent of some of the buildings are visible as soilmarks on aerial photographs (S4). See NHER 14240 for details of enclosures, trackways and boundaries located within the former park that appear to pre-date the post medieval hall and/or farm. It is noted in that recorded that some components could feasibly relate to the earlier hall, although this is not certain, see NHER 14240 for details.
S. Horlock (NMP), 16 March 2009.
- BUILDING (Post Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1540 AD to 1932 AD?)
- FARM BUILDING (Post Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1540 AD to 1932 AD?)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1540 AD? to 1932 AD?)
- STABLE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD? to 2100 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 673. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Map: Newton and Woodrow. 1844. Stoke Holy Cross Tithe Map.. |
|<S4>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1963. RAF 58/5942 (F22) 0084-5 27-SEP-1963 (NMR). |
Related records - none
Find out more...