Record Details

NHER Number:9657
Type of record:Building
Name:Ruins of Trowse Newton Hall

Summary

Trowse Newton Hall, and the lands associated, are thought to be the Newton Hall and Newton settlement reffered to in the parish name 'Trowse with Newton'. During the medieval period it was the country seat of the Priors of Norwich, and it is known that Edward III lodged here. After the dissolution the site became a retirement home for the deans of Norwich, until it was converted to use as a farm.

The present remains date to around 1450, though they suffered destruction during the food riots of 1766 and were later deliberately ruined in 1890. The surviving features are the north wall, with a large window with some Perpendicular style tracery, as well as some of the east wall and part of the west wall. A slight part of the south wall, including a Perpendicular style doorway, also remains. A considerable distance to the south, there is a separate gateway.

Images

  • The ruins of Trowse Newton Hall.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The ruins of Trowse Newton Hall.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2532 0782
Map Sheet:TG20NE
Parish:TROWSE WITH NEWTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Formerly country seat of Priors of Norwich, with chapel attached.
Edward III lodged there.
After Dissolution became a retirement home for deans of Norwich, then a farm. Present remains date from about 1450; demolished about 1860. North wall survives with large rectangular window with remains of Perpendicular style tracery under a brick relieving arch, and springing from a stone string course. Above is base of another window. Wall is of mixed flint and brick with stone quoins. Scanty remains of east wall covered in ivy; stub of west wall in modern brick. No trace of Perpendicular style door to north as recorded by (S1).
Visited by E. Rose (NAU).

16 April 1977.
Cutting of undergrowth revealed that portion of north wall mentioned above is a slightly projecting wing: wall extends further to west and is of flint. A Perpenicular style doorway was revealed (opposite the one mentioned by (S1)) in a slight return of the south wall. Walls brick clad inside.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU).

Informant states that a sale document of around 1900 refers to the ruins of the Hall and separately the ruins of a priory; although there was never a priory here, this implies two groups of ruins were visible then. She suggested earthworks to east of ruins related to this, but after site visit A. Rogerson (NLA) states these are old pits of recent date.
Sketch plan in file.
Copy of agreement for repair of ruins 1990 in file (S2).
Compield by E. Rose (NLA), 19 November 1991.

1998. Building Survey.
Survey of ruins.
See (S3) for plans and details of proposed restoration. This report indicates a separate gateway a considerable distance south of the main ruins, within site NHER 24793.
E. Rose (NLA), 1998. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 5 March 2015.

8 June 1999. Watching Brief.
Removal of vegetation revealed previously un-recorded blocked doorway or window on the interior of the northern wall.
Excavation 0.60 x 1.00 metre in southern corner of building revealed the top of the foundation for the south western wall. Top of foundation constructed of large flint cobbles and fragments of medieval brick with mortar bonding.
See report (S5) for further details. The results of this work are also summarised in (S6).
Compiled by S. Tremlett (NLA), 9 March 2000.

Report for June 1999 work also mentions destruction of building in food riots of 1766 and its later deliberate ruination in 1860.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 January 2000.

In May 1108 a court was held at Norwich in the presence of Henry I at which the monks sued successfully to regain confiscated lands at 'Newton by Trowse'. This probably refers to this site and coupled with the fact that early references are to Newton Hall, suggest this is the site of the mysterious Newton that combined with Trowse.
See (S4).
E. Rose (NLA), 5 January 2001.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (12th Century to 19th Century - 1108 AD? to 1860 AD?)
  • WALL (foundation, 12th Century to 21st Century - 1108 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • WALL (foundation, 12th Century to 21st Century - 1108 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Undated)
  • WINDOW (Undated)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208. pp 205-206.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NE 8 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 776.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Trowse with Newton.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 293.
<S2>Unpublished Document: H. Paterson (A&E), MPP. Management Statement.
<S3>Unpublished Contractor Report: Smith-Woolley Chartered Surveyors. 1998. Crown Point Estate, Trowse Newton Hall Ruins, Whitlingham Lane, Norwich. Survey of Existing Ruins and Programme of Renovation. Smith-Woolley Chartered Surveyors.
<S4>Article in Monograph: Harper-Bill, C. 1996. The Medieval Church in the Wider World. Norwich Cathedral: Church, City and Diocese, 1096-1996. Atherton, I. et al (eds). pp 281-313. p 312.
<S5>Unpublished Contractor Report: Percival, J. 1999. Report on an Archaeological Watching Brief at Trowse Newton Hall. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 468.
<S6>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2000. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1999. Norfolk Archaeology. XLIII Pt III pp 521-543. p 539.

Related records

MNO1968Related to: Ruins of Trowse Newton Hall Whitlingham Lane TROWSE WITH NEWTON (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service