|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Andrew's church, Trowse with Newton|
St Andrew's chuch has an important 13th century chancel, built between 1282-1283 under Master Nicholas. The west tower dates to the 14th century, the nave to the 15th century, and a north aisle was added in 1901 during restorations of 1899-1905 by Boardman. The building itself is of flint with ashlar dressings, and has a nave roof of lead and a thatched chancel.
Inside there is an octagonal carved font, and there are life-sized wooden figures of King David and angels around the pulpit, in a Baroque style, which were donated by the Colman family in 1902. On the south wall behind the altar are a number of 18th century paintings from St Michael Coslany, and there is a carved 19th century wooden reredos by Minnis, as well as a brass dated to 1585.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2455 0686|
|Parish:||TROWSE WITH NEWTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
St Andrew's Church.
Oldest parts are firstly, the east wall with niche on outside and Geometric Decorated style window, renewed 1901 but retaining the form shown in drawing of 1820; said by Pevsner (S1) to have an inscription dating it to 1272-88 (not seen): secondly, the organ chamber, with fat lancet (and 19th century window). Ogee piscina in chancel. Nave has on south two Perpendicular style windows, lowered inside; there is space for a third between them, but no trace of it. Perpendicular style tower with gargoyles, and vaulted south porch with parvis and piscina. North aisle and arcade, and south chapel, of 1901. Chancel roof thatched. Octagonal carved font. Life sized wooden figures of King David and angels round pulpit, in Baroque style - Dutch? From an organ? (Given by Colman in 1902) - as were the paintings from St Michael Colany, early 18th century, on south wall and behind behind altar. Carved 19th century wooden reredos - last work of Minnis. Pelican lectern from another church - 18th century? 18th century floor tombs and wall monument. Brass of 1585. Plate - Pre Reformation paten; chalice 1567 and paten 1681, both Norwich; flagon, London 1769.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU), 8 May 1976.
(S2) draws the east wall and the inscription which says 'the prior of Norwich put me here'.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU).
Altar cloth from Whitlingham church is or was here.
The inscription on the east wall was either restored, or replaced by a replica, around 1992.
Source suggests that the statues on the pulpit are from Henry Bell's organ in St Margarets Church, Kings Lynn, though David is by a different hand from the angels. 
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 26 July 1996 & 28 February 1997.
Press cuttings in file (S3, S4).
Chancel of 1282-4 with very important east window and foundation stone. Of same date are the north nave door now reset in 19th c aisle and lancet reset in organ transept. 14th century tower. 15th century nave south windows, and former north windows and chancel windows now said to be reset in the later extensions, but remade. 15th century porch and font. North aisle and transept by Boardman. 1899-1905; south vestry 1906, chancel roof 1912. Interior contains large paintings from St Miles Coslany, and carved wooden figures probably from Lynn St Margaret.
See (S5) and (S6) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 17 March 2005.
June 2009. Removal of render from the east wall.
The east window has been heavily repaired but retains it's original shape and some of the 13th- century stonework. A contemporary inscription on the foundation stone below the window quotes the prior of Norwich from 1272-89, William of Kirby. The removal of cement render has revealed a fabric of unusually large flints lid without coursing. The upper section if the gable is constructed or faced with re-used limestone. Several pieces have visible axe tooling, and some mouldings can be identified, all indicitive of an early 12th century date. A vertical slot was identified at the peak of the gable and it is surmised that it housed a timber cross or santcus bell. The gable was raised to form a parapet in the later Middle Ages and was dressed with medieval brick. The parapet was heightened again in the 19th century to incorporate substantial kneelers.
See (S7) for further details
H. White (NLA), 30 June 2009
- CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1282 AD? to 2050 AD)
- FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Discover the forgotten glory of our sacred spaces. 8 May. |
|---||Monograph: Hart, S.. 2010. Medieval Church Window Tracery in England. pp 50, 57. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. Young craftsmen use ancient skill. 25 April. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. £14,000 bill for church repairs (letter to the editor). 6 May. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. 100 Years Ago. 16 July. |
|<S1>||Serial: Pevsner, N.. The Buildings of England.. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Martin, T.. c.1740. Church Notes. 2. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Trail of damage. 27 January. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Charting the course of restored church. 11 April. |
|<S5>||Unpublished document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2005. Building Report.. |
|<S6>||Publication: Cattermole, P.. 1986. Trowse Church. |
|<S7>||Unpublished document: Heywood, S.. 2009. S. Heywood Report, the east wall of St Andrew's church, Trowse with Newton.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...