Record Details

NHER Number:9610
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of watermill, Trowse Millgate

Summary

A watermill was present on this site in the post medieval period. It was one of the largest in the country, included a steam engine, and was demolished in 1967. The arches were retained, and a printing works built on top. This was demolished in 2000 and a new housing development constructed on the old mill arches. During construction work post holes indicating the previous presence of building built in the 16th and 18th centuries were recovered.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2429 0686
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK
TROWSE WITH NEWTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Watermill. This has been demolished, and only the arches remain under a printing works.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 8 May 1976.

It had been burnt down in 1792 and rebuilt.

The north section is officially within Norwich city but just outside the 'green line'. Here is the remaining millers house, listed grade II and described in 1986 revision as 17th century core extended 18th and 19th century. Two sections, one flint and brick rubble below brickwork; the other red brick. Straight joins in façade and rear wall do not align. Brick quoins in side wall mark probable extent of 17th century work. Main section has brick inscribed AB 1795 beside back door, and stone inscribed DB in façade by straight join.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 20 May 1986.

Press cutting (S1) in file.

July 2000. NAU watching brief on groundworks for a driveway. Contexts 100-130.
Recorded post holes from 16th and 18th century buildings.
See report (S2) in secondary file.
See also (S5).
Compiled by D. Gurney (NLA), 30 November 2000.

New housing now constructed on arches of mill.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 27 November 2000.

October 2001. NAU watching brief on phase 2. Contexts 150-152 used.
The edge of one possible archaeological feature was revealed, but it was not of great antiquity.
Negative site.
See report (S3).
J. Allen (NLA), 31 October 2001.

The rebuilt mill was one of the largest in the county and included a steam engine. It was demolished in 1967. Photographs in file show two attached ranges, one of brick, one weatherboarded.
E. Rose (NLA), 19 March 2004.

For a description of the mill when working see (S4).
E. Rose (NLA), 25 April 2005.

Monument Types

  • POST HOLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval to Cold War - 1540 AD? to 1967 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BUCKLE (Unknown date)
  • METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Unknown date)
  • NAIL (Unknown date)
  • PUNCH (Unknown date)
  • TOKEN (Unknown date)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Unknown date)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Unknown date)
  • LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • POT BOILER (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • ARROWHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TOBACCO PIPE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1998. TG2407/ACB - ACJ.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2000. Homes span the Yare by tranquil mill pond. 8 September.
---Photograph: NAU. JZS.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Slide: Various. Slide. 1-7, 8-.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2 Jun 1998.
<S2>Unpublished document: Emery, P.. 2000. NAU Report No. 523. Archaeological Watching Brief at Trowse Millgate..
<S3>Unpublished document: Bates, S.. 2002. NAU Report No. 641. Report on an archaeological watching brief at Trowse Millgate (phase 2), Norwich, Norfolk..
<S4>Publication: Massingham, H.J.. 1941. Remembrance. p 11.
<S5>Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2001. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 2000. Norfolk Archaeology. XLIII Pt IV pp 707-728. p 723.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service