|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval moated site at Moat House or the Old Rectory|
A medieval moat surrounding an 18th century house, probably on the site of an earlier building, and a large moated outer enclosure, also dating from the medieval period.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1730 0057|
|Parish:||BRACON ASH, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Moat around the Old Rectory, now Moat House, an 18th century building.
Bridge on north of brick and flint, supposed to be Elizabethan; parts could well be.
Very wide arms, water filled. Formerly four bridges, but only one other, of wood, remains.
Large outer enclosure to south is as broad as the northern arms, but not accessible, bridge is falling.
Stream flows through moats.
Visited E. Rose (NAU) 9 November 1978.
Island 47.0m north to south x 40.0m transversely.
Both north and south moats together cover an area 160m north to south by 140m transversely.
R. J. Rickett (NAU) 13 July 1990.
March 2011. Norfolk NMP.
The moat described above was visible on aerial photographs (S1), but was obscured by trees and was therefore not mapped as it was more clearly depicted on the Ordnance Survey map.
E. Bales (NMP), 29 March 2011.
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Section 17 Agreements
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Bracon Ash. |
|<S1>||Aerial Photograph: Derek A. Edwards. 1984. NHER TG 1700E-G (NLA 150/AWV 27-9) 27-APR-1984. |
Related records - none
Find out more...