|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||All Saints' Church, Hargham|
This tiny country church dates to the 14th and 15th centuries and is constructed in a mix of Decorated and Perpendicular styles. Until recently it was partly ruined and derelict but it was saved by a local couple during the 1980s who worked tirelessly to restore it. The grounds around the tower have been subject to clearance and all the architectural fragments recovered have been recorded. This process may continue in the future.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0198 9135|
|Parish:||QUIDENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
July 1958. Listed, Grade II*.
Parish church, early 14th with 15th century alterations, restored in 1874. Flint with ashlar dressings and plain tiled roofs. Two western bays of nave collapsed mid 18th century chancel lower than nave, which has parapeted east gable. West wall rebuilt of coursed flint with reused 14th century door arch moulded with filleted rolls and hood on head stops. Fragments of north and south walls project west. 20th century timber bell-cote at south-west corner. Flat east nave buttresses. One 2-light 19th century Perpendicular window under hood on labels north and south. Square low side window to chancel south, arched Priest's door and external squint. Two 2-light 19th century Perpendicular windows. Diagonal buttresses to east and 3-light Perpendicular window also 19th century. One similar, but smaller, north chancel window. 19th century lean-to vestry with eastern paired trefoil lancets. West of vestry is original paired trefoil lancet window under super arch. Interior. Pews 1874, as are chancel and nave scissor braced and boarded roofs. Angle piscina in chancel with double ogee arches and mouchette tracery. Decagonal plain font on circular stem and decagonal moulded astragals and base.
Information from (S8).
H. White (NLA), 2 June 2009
Part ruined, part derelict. Decorated and Perperpendicualr styles (14th - 15th century).
For full details, records of work in 1995-6 (S1), press cuttings (S2), (S3) and (S4) see file.
E. Rose (NLA).
October 1995. Watching Brief.
Undertaken during clearance around base of tower.
At the north west corner of the former nave, clearance exposed foundations for a buttress. Amongst the removed spoil on the south side of the tower were fragments of flint from the tower wall and a 'kneeler' stone, missing from the top of the first stage of the adjacent south west buttress of the nave.
See report (S1) for further details. The results of this work are also summarised in (S8).
A. Cattermole (NLA) 2 August 2005.
April 2000. Bell and bellframe survey.
Three bells were stolen in 1753 when the church was reduced in size and the tower abandoned.
See (S6) for further details
H. White, (NLA), 29 September 2009
May 2008. Watching Brief.
No features of archaeological significance. Fragmentary disarticulated human bones from an unstratified context.
See report (S7) for further details
H. White (NLA), 9 June 2009
- CHURCH (13th Century to 19th Century - 1300 AD to 1900 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TM0191A-E, H, J, TM1291A. |
|---||Article in Serial: Plunkett, G. A. F. 1979. Norfolk Church Screens - 1865 Survey. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVII Pt II pp 178-189. p 182. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 09 SW 7 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1996. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1995. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt III pp 397-412. p 407. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 382. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|---||Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF2419. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Penn, K. 1995. A Watching Brief at All Saints' Church, Hargham, Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 152. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Attleborough couple save a church from ruin. 18 May. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. [Photograph of All Saints' Church, Hargham]. 12 February. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. Couple seek treasure of born-again church. 11 August. |
|<S5>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 43; p 51. |
|<S6>||Unpublished Document: Cattermole, P.. 2000. Inventory of church bells and bell-frames in Norfolk. |
|<S7>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Birks, C. 2008. Report on an Archaeological Watching Brief at All Saints’ Church, Hargham, Norfolk. Chris Birks Archaeological Services. CB133R. |
|<S8>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077512. |
Related records - none
Find out more...