|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Medieval wayside cross, Hargham Crossroads on A11|
A medieval stone cross stands at the southeast corner of the crossroads here. It shows signs of being set up here in recent times having previously been in use elsewhere. Documents suggest it may have come from Old Buckenham.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0130 9150|
|Parish:||QUIDENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Stone cross, remains of according to (S1).
11 April 1979. Visited by E. Rose (NAU).
(S2) reports a legend that it was moved here from Old Buckenham.
(S3) says it was called the Cockrowstone; but a cutting in NCM Bolingbroke Collection claims it is modern.
It however is certainly a medieval cross; plain rectangular base, shaft of about 1.5m high, both roughly chamfered, top of shaft rounded.
Deep tenon-sockets in front and back, suggesting reuse at some time, and this section of shaft may not be in the right position. Perhaps therefore it was in secondary use elsewhere and set up here in fairly recent times.
No longer in centre of crossroads as marked on (S1); road diversions have placed it at the southeast corner of crossroads.
E. Rose (NAU).
For a discussion of the origin of the cross see file and press cutting (S4).
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||(No record type): Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Quidenham. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. p 312. |
|<S3>||Serial: Bryant, T.H.. Norfolk Churches.. 2. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: 1990. Eastern Daily Press. 7 May. |
|31545||Parent of: Possible site of medieval cross (Monument)|
|31544||Parent of: Site of medieval wayside cross (Monument)|
Find out more...