|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Gallows Hill, Quidenham|
This is the location of a set of post medieval gallows according to various documentary sources which record it as either Gallows or Gibbet Hill. Some sort of mound was also recorded as being present here in a heavily overgrown state. This mound was not destroyed as was widely supposed, and it has been identified as a rabbit riddled mound. A possible circular mound is visible in this location as a slight earthwork on aerial photographs from 1946.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0141 9019|
|Parish:||QUIDENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Gallows Hill (OS) - Gibbet Hill
W. G. Clarke.
Gallows recorded in (S1). Large bracken covered barrow north of Eccles Road station 3m (10ft) high.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
Barrow approximately 137m (150yds) circumference
H. D. Hewitt.
Covered in alder bushes and bracken riddled by rabbits - flat or slightly concave top. Slight ditch, six paces wide. Excavated south side? Fragment of Neidermedig lava found on it by R. R. Clarke (NCM). Sixty paces diameter, 3.66m (12ft) high.
H. D. Hewitt 13 July 1935.
R. R. Clarke (NCM) 24 December 1936.
(S2) alongside old Bury Road.
(S3) 'almost a mile northwest of town'.
OS card says totally destroyed by an excavation - two spoil heaps to south.
1976, 11 February.
Large mound about 4m high, 30m diameter, much damaged with pine trees. Perhaps not correctly identified.
A. Lawson (NAU).
Confirmed that both A. Lawson (NAU) and J. Wymer (NAU) had mistaken a gravel pit spoil heap for the barrow.
Proper barrow confirmed as irregular rabbit riddled mound adjacent, 0.5m high, not destroyed as OS say.
Located by  and J. Wymer (NAU).
In extremely poor state, riddled with rabbit burrows. According to owner severely damaged by military activity in World War Two.
H. Paterson (NLA) 21 April 1997.
Ancient Monument description in file.
November 2012. Norfolk NMP.
A possible circular mound is visible as a slight earthwork on aerial photographs (S5), centred on TM 0141 9019. The mound measures approximately 30m in diameter, although it appears to have suffered some disturbance due to its proximity to the World War Two airfield, and it is difficult to be certain of its provenance. However, it seems likely to be the feature to which this record relates.
E. Ford (NMP), 27 November 2012.
- MOUND (Undated)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- GALLOWS? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduling Report. |
|---||Article in serial: Whyte, N.. 2003. The Deviant Dead in the Norfolk Landscape.. Landscapes. Vol 4, No 1. pp 24-39. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Quidenham. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Quidenham. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Photograph: CXR 10, CYA 5-6. |
|<S1>||Publication: 1681. Buxton MSS. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: Clarke, W. G. 1913. Norfolk Barrows. The Antiquary. Vol XLIX pp 416-423. p 419. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Blomefield, F. 1806. The History of The City and County of Norwich, Part I. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol III. p 275. |
|<S4>||Monograph: Lawson, A. J., Martin, E., Priddy, D. and Taylor, A. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. East Anglian Archaeology. No 12. |
|<S5>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1707 3106-7 29-AUG-1946 (NMR). |
Related records - none
Find out more...