Record Details

NHER Number:9134
Type of record:Building
Name:St Peter's Church, Morley St Peter

Summary

A medieval flint parish church that dates mainly to the 15th century with 19th century restoration. The distinctive truncated west tower has a pyramidal roof and the porch dates to the 16th century with brick dressings. The chancel, vestry and the furnishings all date to the 19th century.

Images

  • St Peter's Church in Morley has a distinctive west tower  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TM 06339 98649
Map Sheet:TM09NE
Parish:MORLEY ST PETER, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
MORLEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

(S1) notes as low square tower (fallen?). Low nave, chancel higher. South porch, 2 brick niches at west. Stone crossed coffin slab.
E. Rose (NAU).

(S2) in file.

(S3) dates the church to the 15th century with Victorian restoration.
Flint, rendered except for tower and vestry, with ashlar and brick dressings. Black pantiled roofs. Truncated west tower, aisleless nave with south porch and chancel with north vestry. Unbuttressed remains of west tower with pyramidal roof and polygonal stair turret to north. 4 3-light Perpendicular windows to nave. 16th century porch with brick dressings and rectangular hood-mould. Victorian chancel, vestry, furnishings and arch-braced roofs.
Information from (S3).
S. Spooner (NLA) 15 May 2006

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Unpublished document: Martin, T.. c. 1730. Church Notes..
<S2>Newspaper Article: 1990. Eastern Daily Press. 17 December. 2.
<S3>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service