Record Details

NHER Number:9018
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Wretham Hall

Summary

This is the site of New House (a hall) on Faden’s map of 1797, but it is possible that an earlier hall once stood here. The latest hall on this site was the one designed in 1912 by Sir Reginald Blomfield, with a thirteen bay façade and a linked, recessed service wing. Sadly, it was demolished in 1951 and some of the materials from the house were dumped on the south side of the churchyard.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 9013 9155
Map Sheet:TL99SW
Parish:WRETHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of Hall.
Marked as New House on (S1); not clear if older hall was on same site. (S2) notes carved panelling dated 1566 'in the hall in Mr Prettyman's house in West Wretham' - was this the Hall?

Latest Hall was by Sir Reginald Blomfield. His 1912 design, reproduced in (S3) (copy in File) was not exactly the same as built (see photos in file). Hall was of thirteen bays - on main façade (which direction?) there was projecting wing at left of two bays, seven recessed bays of which the central projected slightly and contained the door with pediment, another two-bay wing projecting, then two more bays linking with a recessed service wing (of an extra eight bays).
Blomfield designed it as two storeys with dormers, steep mansard roof to wings, central cupola with balustrade around; but as built there was a third storey above the cornice, with circular windows in the central section and rectangular in the wings, on main facade; and vice versa on entrance front except for circular window with swags above central door (This third storey replaced the proposed dormers.) No cupola, except on stables beside house. Demolished in about 1951.
E. Rose (NAU) 3 July 1985.

Some material dumped on south side of churchyard.
Information and photographs from N. Batcock.
E. Rose (NAU) 1986.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Early 20th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1912 AD to 1951 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 791.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Photograph: CTG.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1740.
<S3>Article in Serial: [unknown]. Period Home. Voll 6, no 2.

Related records

56270Parent of: Wretham Park (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service