|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||College Farmhouse, medieval chantry college|
In 1349 Sir Thomas and John de Shardelow founded and built a college dedicated to St Martin, Blessed Virgin Mary and All Saints. It was rebuilt around 1400 when the master was Alexander de Horstead, and the college was surrendered in August 1534. The building remains under a heavy 17th century list of alterations, and a new 18th century west front and façade. Inside some 16th century panelling survives, as do tripe and double roll-moulded bridging beams and joists of the early 16th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 9326 9660|
|Parish:||THOMPSON, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
College of St Martin, Blessed Virgin Mary and All Saints, ?1272 - 1546. Many remains in farm which also has fine 16th century beams and Jacobean woodwork. Fish pond. Well restored.
See RCHME report 1974, with additional notes by E. Rose (NAU), 1982, in file.
Comp. E. Rose 21 July 1982.
(S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 27 September 2004.
See (S3) for a brief history of the College and its buildings.
P. Watkins (HES)
- CHANTRY COLLEGE (Medieval - 1349 AD to 1534 AD)
- FISHPOND (Medieval - 1349 AD to 1534 AD)
- HOUSE (Medieval to Modern - 1349 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TL9396A, B. |
|---||Serial: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B.. 1989. The Buildings of England. Norfolk 2: North-West and South.. |
|---||Publication: Knowles, D. and Hadcock, R. N. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. pp 418, 441. |
|---||(No record type): Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Thompson. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: UEA. UEA survey of 19th century farm buildings. |
|<S2>||Publication: Jeffery, P.. 2004. The Collegiate Churches of England and Wales.. p 242. |
|<S3>||Article in serial: Whittingham A. 1980. Thompson College. Archaeological Journal. Vol 137 pp 357-358. |
Related records - none
Find out more...