Record Details

NHER Number:8934
Type of record:Building
Name:Former St James' Church, Crownthorpe

Summary

This former church had Saxo-Norman origins, having been built from flint, stone and Roman tile quoins. The chancel dated to the 13th century and was a fine example of the Early English style, although the 14th century tower was in the Decorated style and the south porch in the Perpendicular style. The interior featured a very fine nave, a few memorials, and some possible Flemish tiles reset in the walling. However, the church had fallen into disuse before its conversion to a residential property in 1989.

Images

  • A Late Saxon or Norman slit window at St James' Church in Crownthorpe  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The south porch of St James' Church in Crownthorpe  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The south wall of the nave at St James' Church in Crownthorpe  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The tower of St James' Church in Crownthorpe  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The roof of the nave at St James' Church in Crownthorpe  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The piscina in the chancel at St James' Church in Crownthorpe  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The nave roof of St James' Church in Crownthorpe  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The date stone in the tower of St James' Church in Crownthorpe  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The piscina in the north wall of St James' Church in Crownthorpe  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • Reset tiles underneath a window in St James' Church in Crownthorpe  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The north wall of the nave and chancel of St James' Church in Crownthorpe  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The north wall of St James' Church in Crownthorpe bears the evidence of different phases of building  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The west window in the tower of St James' Church in Crownthorpe  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0829 0314
Map Sheet:TG00SE
Parish:WICKLEWOOD, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

North and south nave walls of two builds; possible Roman tile quoins with flint blocks, and slit window with flint slab jambs, cross boundary suggesting Saxo-Norman heightening of older building. Chancel in Early English style (13th century) very fine; Early English north chapel demolished; Perpendicular (15th century) south chapel demolished, window reset. Perpendicular south porch over Early English nave door. Tower perhaps 14th century Decorated, altered in 15th century, or all 15th century; top rebuilt 1714. Very fine nave and chancel roof is late 19th century. Furnishing; only a few memorials, and some possible Flemish tile reset in walling.
See report in file.
Redundant.
Listed Grade II* (S1).
To be converted to house?
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 6 December 1978 and 19 August 1987.
E. Rose (NAU) 20 August 1987.

August 1989.
Conversion to house proceeding, has revealed some features including very unusual fact that south chapel was joined to porch.
See report (S2), architects plans (S3) and photos (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 25 August 1989.

Appropriate section from reference (S5) in file.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • Xbell frame (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG 0803L.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1989. Building Report..
<S3>Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..
<S4>Photograph: EDH 13-26.
<S5>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service