Record Details

NHER Number:8925
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Wicklewood

Summary

The majority of this church dates from the 13th-15th centuries. It is notable for its huge south porch tower, which is in the Decorated style. The tower has two fireplaces in the upper storey and a sundial made from a heraldic shield has been added over the entrance to the church. The nave and chancel are probably also originally in the Decorated style also, but the majority of windows are in the Perpendicular style. A 19th century vestry has been added on the site of the north porch and the arch-braced nave roof dates to the 17th century. Inside, there are a few poppyhead benches at the west end, several 18th century floor tombs and an old chest with three locks. Outside, a turnstile was erected in the 19th century to count churchgoers; it was supposed to have been removed in 1895,but a wooden turnstile remains by the gate.

Images

  • All Saints' Church, Wicklewood. Photograph from www.norfolkchurches.co.uk.  © S. Knott

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0698 0233
Map Sheet:TG00SE
Parish:WICKLEWOOD, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Massive south porch tower, apparently Decorated; huge pilasters to its entrance traces of vaulting inside, but now supporting old carved wooden ceiling that itself seems 15th century. Was vaulting ever completed? Piscina here may have older bowl. Cox notes two fireplaces in upper storey. Stair turret projects into nave. Later sundial over entrance. Original bar in socket for south door, though doors themselves are 18th century. Nave and chancel probably originally Decorated also; chancel arch has no pilasters, the capitals emerge from the walls. Decorated piscina south nave wall east end (with unusual humanoid carving reset above); another in chancel next to sedilia with uncomfortably low arch. Simple piscina by south door. Chancel southeast window more Decorated than Perpendicular (east window Victorian) but all other windows Perpendicular; in nave, upper parts of walls (from sill level upwards) rebuilt with windows in courses of knapped flint and brick, with brick edged putlog holes. Same applies to blank west wall, though gable here has probably been restored since. Round-headed niche in north wall interior. Upper rood door remains. 19th century vestry on site of north porch (note no windows above). Arch-braced nave roof - 17th century? Similar chancel roof looks older. Carved Decorated font. Few poppyhead benchends at west. 18th century floor tombs ledger stones. Old chest with three locks. Some old stained glass. Chalice, paten, alms dish 1808. Good 18th century gravestones in yard. In 19th century, a turnstile was erected to count church goers and children attending school; it was supposed to have been removed in 1895, but a wooden turnstile remains by the gate.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 6 December 1978.

(S1) concerning the above mentioned fireplaces in the tower, states that there was an oven and chimney on first floor, and a chimney on second floor on other side. The rood loft was still there at this time (as it was in 1865, see (S2)). The above mentioned sundial over entrance was found to be a reused heraldic shield. Note by Walter Rye bound in with Martin (Norfolk Records Office Manuscript).
Martin also saw an old chest (the one mentioned?) that had pebbles knocked into it so that it could not be sawn open.

With regard to the alternate courses of medieval brick and galletted knapped flint as mentioned above, (S3) states this is a unique build for this date, parallelled only by fragmentary work in buttresses at Kedlington.
E. Rose (NLA) 4 January 2001.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: 1984. TG0602A, B.
<S1>Publication: Martin, T.. 1743. Church Notes.
<S2>Article in serial: Plunkett, G. A. F. 1979. Norfolk Church Screens - 1865 Survey. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVII Pt II pp 178-189. p 189.
<S3>Monograph: Hart, S.. 2000. Flint Architecture of East Anglia.. p 87.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service