|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||St Peter's Church and site of St Mary's Chapel, Kimberley|
A medieval parish church that dates back to the 12th century, with a 15th century tower. The church contains several memorials to the Wodehouse family and the east window has been reset with a collection of medieval stained glass, and was thoroughly restored in the 19th century. During the medieval period a chapel dedicated to St Mary stood within the churchyard. The ruins of the chapel were still standing in the early 19th century but there is now no trace of the building.
|Grid Reference:||TG 0715 0417|
|Parish:||KIMBERLEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Decorated nave and chancel, but windows altered; (S1) states that drawing of 1812 in Dawson-Turner collection shows different tracery. The chancel windows, now all remade in odd imitation of Decorated, have internal shafts and external headstops; all 19th century except perhaps on north window. Do these represent originals, and if so were the windows Early English? Central window in nave north wall wider than others; cusped Y-tracery window by pulpit lowered to floor; its tracery seems old but it is set in blocked arch, a north chapel? window reset? To its east rood
stair door, ornamented. Cusped statue niche with pedestal on southwest side chancel arch; arch itself is 19th century, remade. Cusped piscina in chancel another in south porch; this porch is Decorated with blank wall arches around cusped lancets. West tower Perpendicular base with flushwork buttresses, walls alternate knapped flint and stone blocks, though tower arch more in Decorated style; but upper part of tower (ie majority) rebuilt with huge brick letters ANNO/DOMM/1631/IW-EW (one word on each face). Nave hammerbeam roof, probably 19th century. 15th century
English and Flemish stained glass in chancel. Brass, 2 figures, John Wodehows and wife, 1530 tablet with kneeling figures (Dame Street) 1651; brass matrix; brass plaque ledgerstones and good 17th to 19th century floor tombs, mostly Wodehouses, one wall monument lists external Wodehouse burials from 18th century to 1932. Elaborate
carved Royal arms with 'Beati Paci Fici'. Chalice, Norwich 1567 paten 1713.
Ordnance Survey marks site of St Mary's Chapel southeast of church; no trace here, covered in graves including 17th century coffin-shaped altar tomb.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 6 December 1978.
(S2) mentions a demolished north vestry with vault underneath, also traces of a building east of the chancel east wall. The nave was thatched in his day. The chapel was mentioned in the reign of Henry III and in 1819 the ruins were 10.9m x 6.4m (36 x 21ft), see (S3), although this may simply be a quotation from (S4).
Site visit and note on location of St Mary's chapel.
D. Gurney (NLA) 19 October 1999.
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG0704 A, V-Z. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of Forehoe. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XVII. pp 151-164. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 457. |
|---||Leaflet: St Peter's Church, Kimberley.. |
|---||Leaflet: St. Peter's Church, Kimberley.. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Kimberley. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 219. |
|<S2>||Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1730. |
|<S3>||Serial: 1819. Excursions through Norfolk. |
|<S4>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Volume Unknown. |
|54660||Part of: Medieval and post medieval settlement, field systems, trackways and finds (Monument)|
Find out more...