|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||All Saints' Church, Brandon Parva|
This 15th century church stands alone to the west of the hamlet of Brandon Parva. The church has an unbuttressed tower dating from around 1400. Documentary evidence suggests that construction of the church was completed in 1508. It was heavily restored in the 19th century.
|Grid Reference:||TG 0702 0807|
|Parish:||RUNHALL, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1980. Site visit.
West Tower, nave, chancel, south porch. Flint.
Unbuttressed west tower with belfry openings late Decorated or early Perpendicular period (around 1400). Flushwork battlements part replaced in brick. Stair turret on south. Good tower arch. Perpendicular west window. North doorway, blocked, also may be of the earlier date. Rest of church Perpendicular (15th century) though chancel southwest windows (with embattled demi-transom) has been renewed - is it accurate? East window also is recent, intersected thin tracery probably around 1800. North chancel wall has no windows but instead three buttresses, two of brick. The other walls of the church have 15th century buttresses. Chancel roof on arched braces, Perpendicular period with embattled wallplate. South doorway has headstops. South porch is 19th century. Weaver monument 1702. Plate (according to (S1) chalice, Norwich 1567; paten, Norwich 1636. Interior inaccessible at time of visit, but all above details visible through windows; interior seems plain and very Victorianised.
E. Rose (NAU), 5 November 1980.
Listed Grade II*.
Press cutting in secondary file (S1).
November 2003. Part survey.
On site away from village. Decorated tower, otherwise 15th century (completion date 1508). East window is post medieval replacement. Nave roof replaced in 18th century and again in 1860s when church restored. Some good memorials including important 17th century floor slab and 18th century memorial.
See report in secondary file (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 15 November 2003.
- CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COMMEMORATIVE STONE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1702 AD to 2050 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG0708 C-F. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of Forehoe. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XVII. pp 43-50. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 214. |
|---||Leaflet: Brandon Parva. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. [Photograph of All Saints' Church, Brandon Parva]. 5 July. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2003. Building Report.. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...