|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval building and earthworks|
Excavations in this area in 1960 exposed massive flint and mortar foundations of what is thought to be a medieval building. Some earthworks, possible identified as the remains of medieval embankments or moats were noted. A site visit in 1996 indicated that although the field was now under arable use, some slight undulations still remained.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 059 093|
|Parish:||RUNHALL, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1960. Field west of Frogshall Farm.
Noted by D. R. Howlett
Copied from NCM card (S1) by R. R. Clarke (NCM).
P. Wade-Martins explains that this refers to an excavation by himself as a boy in which massive flint and mortar foundations were exposed. Howlett visited the dig.
1980. Site visit.
Field in pasture, full of earthworks. A long bank (?side of hollow way) runs east to west from a gateway in the west side; other earthworks form rectangles which could be toft sites. None of the earthworks continue outside the field, except for a pond on the north.
E. Rose (NAU), 5 November 1980.
Whole field now under arable. Slight undulations visible in young cereal crop.
H. Paterson (NLA), 4 March 1998.
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: R27-36. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: DoE. TG0509A-B. |
Related records - none
Find out more...