Record Details

NHER Number:8651
Type of record:Building
Name:St Margaret's Church, Great Ormesby

Summary

A medieval parish church that dates back to the 14th century and was extensively remodelled in the 15th century. The church has a two storey porch that was built in the 15th century, and the whole building was re-roofed in the 19th century. Inside there is a 15th century font, a 14th century founder's tomb, a brass with an effigy of Sir Robert Clere, who died in 1529, in armour and a mail skirt and several good example of 18th century wall monuments.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 4988 1453
Map Sheet:TG41SE
Parish:ORMESBY ST MARGARET WITH SCRATBY, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK

Full description

Norman nave, 14th century chancel, remodelled 15th century, 16th century tower, north aisle and total recutting 1867.
See (S1) and (S2), 1983, in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 14 December 1983.

September 1962. Listed, Grade II*.
Listing Description:
Bequests for building west tower 1492, 1501, bells 1538. Nave and chancel 14th century, the former remodelled 15th century. North aisle and vestry 1867 when whole church restored and refenestrated. Chancel roof replaced 1867, remainder of building re-roofed 1895. orth aisle altered 1986. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. 3 stage tower standing upon flushwork plinth and supported by diagonal buttresses. 3-light west window, Perpendicular and 19th century. Quatrefoil ventilation panels to ringing chamber in square surrounds. String course below 2-light mouchette belfry windows. Double crenellated flushwork parapet. Diagonal corner buttresses to nave and stepped flanking buttress. 3 3-light Perpendicular windows. 2 storey 15th century south porch, gabled with lead roof. Diagonal buttresses to first storey. Wave moulded outer arch below wall sundial and cusped parvis window. 2-light square-headed Perpendicular side windows to ground floor and slits above to parvis. Re-used inner Norman doorway. One order of shafts with scalloped bases and capitals. 4 orders of decoration in arch: inner of zig-zag with beakhead, billet, double chevron, and billet. One order of chevron extends into jambs. 2 south chancel stepped buttresses and 2 19th century Perpendicular 3-light windows. Arched priests' door between buttresses. Diagonal east buttresses. 5-light 19th century transomed east window of Perpendicular design. Lean-to vesty against north chancel wall, one buttress and one 19th century window as south. 4-light flowing east and west north aisle windows. 2 3-light flowing windows in eastern bays of aisle. Western 2 bays obscured by lean-to flint and slate structure of 1986 with a 4-centred doorway. Interior. 4 bay octagonal north arcade with double hollow chamfered arches of 1867. Tall bowtell and wave moulded tower arch with hollow chamfered stepped rebates to west. Bowtell and hollow chancel arch jambs support 19th century double wave moulded arch. Nave and aisle roofs both arch braced with wall posts dropping to head and rosette corbels. In east end of aisle a reset founders' tomb, mid 14th century. Cusped ogee arch with foliage carvings in spandrels of cusps. Spandrels of arch have Geometric tracery motifs. Re-cut 15th century octagonal font. Bowl panels have quatrefoils or shields. Chancel roof as nave. Wall monument to John and Abigail Ramsey, 1798 and 1811. Below is monument to Caroline Home 1794 and above is John Ramey (sic) 1794. Monuments amalgamated to appear as one composition. Black and white marble. Home monument has border of acanthus rising from squared urns. Above is open pediment. Below is apron with cherub heads. Ramey monument of black marble field and white oval inscription panel. Achievement at top. To east an Easter Sepulchre in form of founders' tomb. Mid 14th century. Moulded and cusped and sub-cusped ogee arch. In spandrels of cusps are carved angel heads. Central shield boss also with figure of angel. Square surround to arch with traceried spandrels. Beneath sepulchre is brass to Sir Robert Clere 1529. Effigy of Sir Robert dressed in armour and mail skirt. Inscription border. Ogeed and cupsed stepped sedilia and piscina in south chancel wall.
Information taken from (S3).
S. Spooner (NLA) 11 July 2006

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • COMMEMORATIVE BRASS (1529, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • EFFIGY (1529, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2100 AD)
  • TOMB (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL MONUMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG4914AE.
---Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Volume Unknown.
---Publication: Cotton, S.. [unknown].
---Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. 1772.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 628-629.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1899. Hundreds of East and West Flegg. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol IV. pp 42-49.
---Publication: Ladbrooke. 1820. [unknown].
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1983. Building Report.
<S2>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1227867.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service