|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Ormesby House (or Hall)|
An 18th century house with early 19th century Gothic additions including a Gothic conservatory and vaulted entrance hall. Ranges of outbuildings surrounded the house, as well as a walled garden with a crinkle crankle wall. The house was demolished in the 1960s.
Images - none
Also known as Ormesby Hall.
Stated by (S1) in 1962 to be Georgian with a bow window to which in 1810 Gothic additions were made to the design of M Graystone Thompson including polygonal angle shafts with pinnacles, and battlements, Gothic conservatory to south and vaulted entrance hall. Draft conservation area study by borough council says house was demolished about 1960 (but presumably in fact after 1962) leaving only outbuildings, servants wing and billiard hall.
(S2) shows house (before demolition) standing to northeast of large area like walled garden or court, or perhaps just platform, with outbuildings forming north-northeast side of this, and northwest, southwest and southeast sides formed by track. (S3) seems to suggest this was indeed a walled garden with crinkle-crankle wall to southeast. But (S4) shows, instead of a track outside this wall, what looks very much like 3 sides of a moated enclosure. Did walled garden take over island of moat?
E. Rose (NAU) 28 June 1985.
(S5) gives a detailed description of the house and an old print; states that many fittings were removed to the Coach House on demolition.
E. Rose (NLA) 5 January 1996.
(S6) (1996) in file.
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CONSERVATORY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SERPENTINE WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 41 SE 10. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 294. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1957. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map. |
|<S3>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7). |
|<S4>||Map: Ormesby St Margaret with Scratby and Ormesby St Michael Tithe Map (NRO DN/TA 470). 3 chains: 1 inch. |
|<S5>||Article in Serial: Bent, F.. 1993. The Lacons in Ormesby.. Yarmouth Archaeology. pp 26-7. |
|<S6>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
Related records - none
Find out more...