|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Peter's Church, Ormesby St Margaret with Scratby|
This is the site of St Peter's Church within the parish of Ormesby St Margaret. The church probably has its origins in the early 12th century and was abandoned at the end of the 16th century. Its plan is clearly visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs. It had a round west tower and a rectangular nave. Two different phases of the chancel, one rectangular and the other apsidal were present. Cropmarks of two possible graves are visible to the east of the church.
Images - none
Site of (Ordnance Survey).
Note that aerial photographs show that Ordnance Survey Antiquity symbol at TG 4909 1469 is incorrectly placed.
Correct grid reference as shown.
NAU aerial photographs 15 July 1980 shows a negative cropmark - stated by R. Whimster also to be on 1976 CUCAP's.
(S1) marks 'Ormesby Old Church in ruins'.
(S2) has 'church in ruins'.
(S3) calls SS Peter and Andrew, still in use 1590.
(S4) states 'foundations remain' but this work always has this for demolished churches.
Charles Green noted foundations removed some years ago.
A manuscript account of a journey by Blomfield which refers to thatched church with ruins of round tower used as barn.
Presumably therefore the lithograph by (S5) dated 1823 marked St Michael showing complete church with tall octagonal tower cannot be St Peter's.
He also draws correct St Michael's Church. (It is not, it is Rollesby. E. Rose (NAU).)
E. Rose (NAU), 6 February 1984.
20 April 1984.
Surface finds on church site.
Fragment of corner of Flemish tile, slightly undercut, clear glaze on white slip. ?1 nail hole. 26mm thick.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NAU).
E. Rose (NAU), 25 April 1984.
D.A. Edwards (NAU) notes negative cropmark of small rectangle within church outline at junction nave and chancel, but askew to church alignment.
E. Rose (NAU), 28 June 1985.
On (S6) this looks like an earlier apse.
E. Rose (NAU), 9 January 1987.
A drawing by Dawson Turner 1836 (copy in file) shows a double lancet above an ornate piscina and triple sedilia each with an ogee head. There is a priest's door and the nave has two levels of windows - one of the lower seems to be in a Romanesque embrasure.
E. Rose, 8 January 1996.
October 2005. Norfolk NMP.
Cropmarks of St. Peter’s Church at Ormesby St Margaret are visible on aerial photographs (S6, S8-S12). The grid reference for the church has been corrected to TG 4911 1467 following plotting of the cropmarks. This grid reference supersedes the previous location (TG 4913 1468) and that shown by the Ordnance Survey (TG 4909 1469). This is the site of the church of St Peter within the parish of Ormesby St Margaret. The church probably has its origins in the early 12th century and was abandoned at the end of the 16th century (S7). The church is visible as negative cropmarks on aerial photographs taken in 1976 (S6 and S8) and 1980 (S9-S12).
The cropmarks clearly show the plan of the church and different phases of its development. The alignment of the building is not west to east, but lies on a more northwest to southeast axis. It had a round west tower with a diameter of approximately 4m. The nave is rectangular in plan and measures approximately 12m long by 6.5m wide. Three possible buttresses are visible on the north wall of the nave and two on its south. Two phases of the chancel are visible as cropmarks. The largest, and presumably latest, of these is rectangular in plan. It is the same width as the nave and approximately 10m long. Two buttresses are present on both the north and south walls of this chancel. A further two buttresses are visible at its northeast and southeast corners. Within the area of the rectangular chancel is a smaller chancel with an apse. This is presumably of an earlier date and measures about 6.5m long by 5m wide.
Located 10m and 15m to the east of the chancel are cropmarks of two sub-rectangular pits. These are aligned west to east and measure between 1.9m and 2.4m long and 0.6m to 0.9m wide. It is possible that they are graves associated with the church. However, it is unclear why these two graves should show as cropmarks whilst the many other that no doubt exist around the church are not visible. No obvious evidence of a churchyard boundary is visible within the cropmarks.
J. Albone (NMP), 12 October 2005
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GRAVE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in Serial: Bent, F.. 1995. The Ruined Churches of the Fleggs.. Yarmouth Archaeology. p 17. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 41 SE 1. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Ormesby St. Margaret with Scratby. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S3>||Serial: 1818. Excursions through Norfolk. |
|<S4>||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1931. The Ruined Churches of Norfolk. |
|<S5>||Illustration: Ladbrooke. 1823. Ormesby St. Michael. |
|<S6>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: CUCAP. 1976. NHER TG 4914AK (CUCAP BYJ29) 29-JUN-1976. |
|<S7>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 200; pp 54, 160-161. |
|<S8>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: CUCAP. 1976. CUCAP BYJ27-8 29-JUN-1976. |
|<S9>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1980. NHER TG 4914C (NLA 79/ANP9) 09-JUN-1980. |
|<S10>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1980. NHER TG 4914D-E (NLA 78/ANJ1-2) 09-JUN-1980. |
|<S11>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1980. NHER TG 4914F-L (NLA 84/ANX23-28) 16-JUN-1980. |
|<S12>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1980. NHER TG 4914U-Y (NLA 80/ANN7-13) 09-JUN-1980. |
Related records - none
Find out more...