|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Canterbury House, Wretton Road|
A 17th century part timber-framed house with brick gable-end and stack. Doubled in length in 18th century incorporating an axial stack. 18th-century brick re-facing to one side of original block. 19th-century decorative flint and brick re-facing following separation into two dwellings before 1881.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 7040 9984|
|Parish:||STOKE FERRY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
July 1959. Listed, Grade II.
House. Late 16th century, altered c.1700 and much altered 19th century. Brick, clunch and carstone with pantiled roof. 2 storeys. East facade in 2 parts. Southern section of 3 bays. 3 ground floor 19th century sash windows under gauged skewback arches and architraves in dark red brick. Moulded brick string course between floors and similar eaves cornice above 2 similar first floor windows. Southern upper window narrower than others and blocked. Roof line raised. All this work c.1700. Northern section of flint and 3 bays, the ground floor obscured by 19th century brick lean-to extension. 2 19th century first floor sashes flank blind window. Gabled roof. 2 sloping 19th century attic dormers to north section. 19th century gault brick ridge stack right of centre. South gable with set-off at original eaves line above 2 blocked square windows with hood moulds. Remains of original gable line visible. Triple internal octagonal stack on bell-based plinths. West facade with blocked central door. 2 20th century sash windows to left separated by blocked window. Similar disposition above. Further sash over door and another to right. Brick string course divides storeys. Interior. Kitchen with wave moulded bridging beam to north. Central dining room also with moulded bridging beam and cornice, inserted large frame panelling. Doors with H hinges. Spine beam to lounge at south end with sunk quadrant mouldings. Roof renewed 18th century with staggered butt purlins.
Information from (S1).
Probable 16th century part timber framed house later altered and extended on several occasions in 17th to 19th century.
See report (S2) and press cutting (S3) in File.
E. Rose (NAU), 3 March 1984.
Architect's plans (1995)
See (S4) in file.
Early 17th century timber frame of which only north gable-end survives. Masonry south gable-end with stack. Building doubled in length in 18th century. Re-faced with decorative flint and brick in 19th century following subdivision into separate properties.
See (S5) for further information.
S. Heywood (HES), 09 January 2011.
- HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 672. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Brownhill Hayward Brown (architects). 2011. Design and Access statement with drawings. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077746. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1984. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1985. [Sale advertisement for Canterbury House]. 13 September. |
|<S4>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S5>||Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2011. Canterbury House, Stoke Ferry. An Architectural History. January 2011. |
Related records - none
Find out more...