|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Old Crown House/All Saints' House|
One of the oldest buildings in west Norfolk, and possibly on the site of an earlier inn, this is a late 17th and 18th century flint, stone and brick house, partly colourwashed. The line of the façade deflects to accommodate the road, and the western half was demolished in the 1970s to allow for widening of the road. To the rear are two gabled cross wings, each terminating in a Dutch gable.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 7043 9993|
|Parish:||STOKE FERRY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Cottage in High Street opposite Wretton Road.
Flint, three storeys. Polygonal brick chimneystacks. Rear low wings with shaped gables topped by pediments (ie earlier 17th century); one destroyed for chimney. Poor condition.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU), 9 March 1976.
(S1) says this was the old Crown Inn which 'some experts' think may date from 1380 (there is no evidence of medieval work on the exterior) and has a Queen Anne wing. She says it is now known as All Saints Lodge. In fact it is All Saints House, the lodge being a converted 18th century barn at the rear.
(S2) quoting another source (ie it is in brackets in his book) refers to All Saint's Lodge as having shaped gables on the façade. This must be a mistake.
E. Rose (NAU), 20 January 1981.
Listing Grade II 1985 (S3), which wrongly calls the building All Saints Lodge, dates as late 17th century and 18th century. States that part demolished 1977 for road widening; is this date correct? It looked partly demolished in 1976 when road seemed newly widened. Dutch gabled wings still there. No internal features noted.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 August 1985.
Architects plans (1987) (S4) in file.
 notes that the Listing date appears to be correct. There is a vertical join towards the west end as if the building had been extended. A very fine flat roofed wine cellar has been restored.
E. Rose (NLA), 24 June 2003.
(S2) was published in 1962 when this building was only listed as All Saints Lodge and consequently there is only one entry in (S2). A further listing was made in 1972 naming part of the building Crown House which happened before the 2nd edition (S5) was released, this could explain why there is now two separate descriptions in (S5) for this building.
H. Mellor (HES), 6 May 2016.
- HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077743. |
|---||*Verbal Communication: Pearce, C.. 2003. [unknown]. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Inn on site since 1383. 4 May. |
|<S1>||Publication: Coates, D.E.. 1980. Stoke Ferry. p.25. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 327. |
|<S3>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077739. |
|<S4>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S5>||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 672. |
Related records - none
Find out more...