|Type of record:||Building|
A plain but imposing three storey brick house of 1792, now converted to offices. Much of the original interior survives, including the three bay hall with pilasters and a plaster vault.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 7039 9990|
|Parish:||STOKE FERRY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Converted to offices.
1792. Brick. Double pile with central passage. Three storeys and five bays, centre bay projects. Tuscan doorcase central. String course between floors. Blank tympana to ground floor sashes. Dentiled cornice and rebuilt parapet. From façade, ramped walls enclose garden to left and yard to right, each with door. Rear elevation not included; altered. North and south returns with two flat chimneys. Interior: three bay hall leads to staircase lobby; bays defined by pilasters beneath plaster groined barrel vault.
Open well stairs with scrolled tread ends. Moulded cornices to ground floor rooms.
Information from Listing grade II* 1985 (S1); exterior façade also seen by E. Rose (NAU), 9 March 1976.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 August 1985.
Plans and proposals in file.
- (Former Type) GREAT HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1792 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 672. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077744. |
Related records - none
Find out more...