Record Details

NHER Number:8623
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church, Stokesby

Summary

A medieval parish church with a 13th century west tower, a 14th century nave and 15th century alterations. The building was restored in the 19th century, and has a thatched roof. The church contains a 15th century memorial brass to Sir Edward Clere and his wife, as well as other 16th and 17th century brasses.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 4359 1056
Map Sheet:TG41SW
Parish:STOKESBY WITH HERRINGBY, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK

Full description

Tower of about 1300 with stone quoins, Y-tracery belfry windows, 16th century.
Brick battlements and rectangular lancet to west, presumably remade.
Small tower arch with no pilasters, imposts set in walls.
Nave south wall of knapped flint with courses of tile; north wall and chancel of rough flint, brick and stone lumps with brick edged putlog holes.
East window cusped and intersected, recently restored after gale damage; all others Decorated except one large Perpendicular in nave south, put in as (S1) says to light the pulpit, and therefore 16th century.
Chancel windows (except northeast) lowered to form seats and stepped sedilia; Decorated cusped piscina with shelf and petalled bowl.
Northeast window is not lowered because of aumbry below.
18th century brick and flint south porch with remains of sundial; contains medieval gargoyle.
Nave scissor framed roof, thatched of recent date (not, as (S1) states, Decorated!).
Carved benches with openwork backs and figures on armrests, marked RW and EW.
Large cross shaped 14th century plate reset on south door (and covering most of it).
Brasses of 1488: (S1) mentions others of 1506, and two Flemish palimpsests, one of 1570 and the other Elizabethan, these not visible, perhaps under a wooden platform supporting the altar.
Good quality 17th to 18th century floor tombs at east end, simple rustic ones at west end.
Here also a brass plaque of 1636 with space left for wife never filled in ('died ... day of .... 16..').
Royal arms post Irish union painted on tympanum now behind south door.
3 matching 19th century monuments.
List of East Anglian bishops published 1857.
Chalice, Norwich 1678; paten, Elizabethan remade 1689.
Good gravestones in yard.
Outside north door and priest's door shattered and worn stone coffin slabs.
Bad condition, walls cracked in several places.
E. Rose (NAU)

See (S2) in file.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG4413A.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2006. 2 January.
---Leaflet: The Parish Church of St. Andrew, Stokesby..
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. p678.
<S2>Publication: Sexton, M.B.. A Short Guide to St Andrews Church, Stokesby.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service