|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||St Ethelbert's Church and deserted medieval settlement of Herringby|
This is the site of the medieval settlement of Herringby, which is mentioned in the Domesday Book and was gradually deserted during the medieval period. The parish church was dedicated to St Ethelbert, and although there are no standing remains some medieval masonry has been incorporated into the garden walls of Herringby Hall, which dates from the 19th century. The church is shown on a 16th century map of the area. A college or hospital was founded near the church in the 15th century and was dissolved in the 16th century.
Images - none
Site of St Ethelbert's Church, Herringby, and the College Hospital of God's House, founded 1447 (Ordnance Survey) or 1475, see (S1). Probably on the pre-exisiting church.
Church pulled down 1610 after parishes united in about 1580.
Herringby village was mentioned in Domesday, Nomina Villarum, in 1329 and 1332.
When the Hall was built many human bones were found.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 16 November 1978.
One block of Norman zigzag, presumably therefore indicating church was a Norman building, set into garden wall by northeast gate at pillar box. East of gate are blocks of stone with incised lines.
Hall is late 19th century.
All fragments are visible from the public road.
E. Rose (NAU)
A 16th century map of the Yare from Yarmouth to Norwich shows Herringby church still standing.
R.J. Rickett (NAU) 10 May 1990.
Appropriate section from (S1) in file.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COLLEGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOSPITAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Map: BM Map 8065 2 No.35. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Stokesby with Herringby. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 178; p 54. |
|<S2>||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 41 SW 7 . |
Related records - none
Find out more...