Record Details

NHER Number:8547
Type of record:Building
Name:Martham Drainage Mill

Summary

A four-storey drick drainage windmill sometimes known as Bracey's Mill, built by Dan England in 1908. The upright shaft and the crown wheel have survived, and the mill has been converted into a house.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 4427 1926
Map Sheet:TG41NW
Parish:MARTHAM, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK

Full description

Drainage mill.
Brick tower, channel for scoopwheel unusually goes through the centre of the tower, so that the wheel must have been inside the mill itself. Boat-shaped cap; fantail remains without blades, but sails gone. Dated 1903 (or perhaps 1908) with list of drainage commisioners on plaque. Now used as house. Stands on site of Brickyard now overgrown with blackcurrant bushes gone wild.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 23 May 1979.

See (S1).
(S2) says date is 1908, by Dan England. Drove a turbine. Upright shaft and crown wheel survive but water tank now in cap; used as house.
E. Rose (NLA) 7 October 1998.

Monument Types

  • DRAINAGE MILL (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1908 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG4419/A - D.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Monograph: Smith, A.C.. 1978. Drainage Windmills of the Norfolk Marshes.. no 41.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1372909.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service