Record Details

NHER Number:8524
Type of record:Monument
Name:St Peter's Church, North Burlingham

Summary

A medieval parish church, dating mainly from the 14th and 15th centuries, which is now in ruins. The church originally had a round tower, which collapsed in 1906, and was heavily restored in the late 19th century. The church was closed for services in 1935.

Images

  • St Peter's Church, Burlingham.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3684 1004
Map Sheet:TG31SE
Parish:LINGWOOD AND BURLINGHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

St Peter's Church, North Burlingham.
In ruins.
Suggested as Late Saxon, but no work of this period is visible.
What remains is mostly Perpendicular, and the church was heavily restored in 1874 by the Burroughs family.
Round tower, with octagonal tope, collapsed in 1906.
Nave and chancel date to 15th century.
Formerly thatched.

Former fittings dispersed to various churches, including St Andrews, Burlingham, Blofield, Lingwood, and Earlham.

See (S1) and (S2) for more details.
E. Rose, (NAU) 4 December 1989

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
---Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
---Publication: Cotton.
---Illustration: Ladbrooke.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Photograph: EPV 11-36.
<S1>Unpublished document: Rogerson, A.. 1977. Building Report..
<S2>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. p 89.

Related records

MNO4262Related to: Church of St. Peter NORTH BURLINGHAM (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service