|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of King's Mill and multi-period metal objects and pottery sherds|
During the period 1965-75 several hundred Roman pottery sherds were recovered from the ploughed field surface. Further finds of Roman and Saxon metalwork objects and pottery were made in 1983. In addition, 18th/19th century maps shows a windmill was located here. This was called ‘King’s Mill’ and operated until it was dismantled in 1878.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 38 12|
|Parish:||SOUTH WALSHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
1965-75. On ploughed surface.
Several hundred Roman sherds including red polished and calcite gritted wares 4th century AD.
Identified by A. K. Gregory (NAU) 10 December 1975 who found some more.
(S1) marks a windmill here which is called King's Mill on 1836 1st edition 1in Ordnance Survey. It was a tower mill dismantled in 1878.
Information from H. Apling.
E. Rose (NAU) 24 March 1982.
Finds of Iron Age coin and pottery, Roman metalwork (S2 and S3) and pottery, Early Saxon brooch (S4) and pottery, Ipswich and Thetford Ware - see file.
E. Rose (NAU).
Remains which have been tentatively identified as a Roman building have been recovered to the west, at NHER 8506, and cropmarks of enclosures, fields, and trackways likely of Roman date have been recorded at NHER 49469.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 04 December 2008.
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- NAIL (Undated)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- COIN (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- BUCKLE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- KEY (LOCKING) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- KEY (LOCKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Gregory, T.. 1984. Sketch of a Romancopper alloy buckle plate.. Film. 1:1. |
|<S3>||Illustration: Gregory, T.. 1984. Sketch of a Roman copper alloy buckle plate.. Film. 2:1. |
|<S4>||Illustration: Gregory, T.. 1984. Drawing of an Early Saxon cruciform brooch foot plate.. Film. 2:1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...