Record Details

NHER Number:8461
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of drainage windmill and later steam engine house


The site contains the ground level remains of a steam engine house. The plant is believed to have been constructed by Smithdales in 1867 but ceased operation in 1937 and was later demolished. Early 19th century maps show that the steam engine house replaced a drainage windmill.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3855 1515
Map Sheet:TG31NE

Full description

Drainage pump (Ordnance Survey).
This is not a mill but a modern brick shed.
Machinery not visible but intake syphon suggests perhaps older than building.
Seen by E. Rose (NAU) 29 May 1978 from boat.

October 1982.
Visited on ground, confirmed no trace remains of windpump.
E. Rose (NAU).

Description of steam engine house in (S1). Had Smithdale engines of 1867, closed 1937. Now gutted. A windmill is shown on the site on (S2) and (S3).
E. Rose 9 January 1998.

December 2005. NAU rapid assessment and survey of the remains of a drainage pump.
Demonstrated the presence of masonry elements and water channels.
See (S4).
See also (S5).
J. Allen (NLA) 16 February 2006.

Monument Types

  • DRAINAGE MILL (Post Medieval - 1800 AD to 1867 AD)
  • STEAM ENGINE HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1867 AD to 1937 AD)
  • PUMPING STATION (Modern - 1937 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
<S1>Article in Serial: Ward, J.. 1997. Smoke Drifting Over the Reeds.. NIAS Journal. Vol 6, no 2, p 46.
<S2>Map: Bryant. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S4>Unpublished Document: Penn, K.. 2006. NAU Archaeology Report No. 1128. An Archaeological Assessment of former drainage pump remains at South Walsham, Norfolk..
<S5>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2006. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2005. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLV Pt I pp 124-136. p 133.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service