Record Details

NHER Number:8374
Type of record:Building
Name:Lambridge Mill

Summary

A mid 19th century drainage windmill, with a tapering circular brick tower. Fragments of the sails survive, along with some of the internal machinery.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 4318 2521
Map Sheet:TG42NW
Parish:SEA PALLING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Drainage mill. Marked on (S1),1836
E. Rose (NAU).

(S2) shows the derelict mill with no cap but parts of the cap frame surviving, 1 stock and part of a sail.
A. Rix (HES), 21 February 2012.

Listed building description (S3) dates the present structure as mid 19th century. Brick tapering tower, four storeys. Semi-circular water openings at diagonally opposite sides. Door to northeast, three windows above.
Curb track, fan cradle, worm gear, drive intact; fragments of two stocks and sails. Internal scoop wheel missing, pit in filled windshaft, brakewheel, crownwheel, upright shaft, great spur wheel intact.
E. Rose (NLA), 21 June 1994.

(S4) implies the mill was built in 1865 and has a mention of the mill being wrecked in 1937. Presumably this only means the sails were blown off, or something similar.
E. Rose (NLA), 31 May 2000.

Monument Types

  • DRAINAGE MILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1800 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • TOWER MILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1800 AD? to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG4325/A-E.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S2>Photograph: Hallam Ashley. 1955. Waxham, Lambrigg Mill. Print, b&w.
<S3>Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S4>Article in Serial: Ward, A.J.. 1999. Steam Drifting Over the Reeds. Part Three: Crank Overhead.. Journal of the Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society. Vol 6, no 4. p 19.

Related records

MNO2441Related to: Lambridge Mill SEA PALLING (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service