|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Roman pottery, medieval to post medieval metal objects|
The base of a Roman jar was found on the beach in 1958. Metal detecting in the same area in 1995 recovered a medieval vessel leg and a post medieval buckle, spur, coin and lead weights.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 43 27|
|Parish:||SEA PALLING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1958. Found on foreshore. Water-worn base of coarse Roman jar.
Seen by R. R. Clarke (NCM).
1995. Metal detecting.
Medieval bronze leg from vessel.
Early post medieval buckle with integral loop for dagger.
Post medieval spur, rowell broken off.
Lots of lead weights ?post medieval.
Charles I shilling.
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM), 8 June 1995.
W. Milligan (NCM), 8 June 1995.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- VESSEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUCKLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- DAGGER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SPUR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WEIGHT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Sea Palling. |
Related records - none
Find out more...