Record Details

NHER Number:8336
Type of record:Building
Name:Hunsett Mill

Summary

A drainage mill dating from circa 1860 with three storey brick tower and boat-shaped cap. The mill was originally fitted with twin scoopwheels.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3636 2393
Map Sheet:TG32SE
Parish:STALHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Three storey brick tower. Boat-shaped. Frames for canvas sails. Fantail and sprocket wheel for chain. Arch in base ?formerly for scoop wheel. All restored. In garden of house; electric pump nearby replaces it.
E. Rose (NAU) 13 April 1982.

The 'sprocket wheel' above (really a Y-wheel) indicates Cubitts patent sails but the frames were replaced after collapse by millwright in recent years. The whole mill was restored from dereliction in 1946.
E. Rose (NAU) 8 February 1985.

Photos in file.

Drainage mill bears a date of 1698; it has obviously been rebuilt on the site of an old mill, probably about 1807.
Information from Ordnance Survey Records.
R. J. Rickett (NAU) 16 May 1990.

Listed building description dates the mill to 1860 and says there were originally two scoop wheel. No internal machinery survives.

Monument Types

  • DRAINAGE MILL (Post Medieval - 1860 AD? to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG3623/B - E.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Monograph: Brown, R.J.. 1976. Windmills of England.. pp 235-6.

Related records

56062Related to: Site of 19th century drainage mill (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service