Record Details

NHER Number:785
Type of record:Monument
Name:St Lawrence's Churchyard, Norwich

Summary

In 1987 archaeological observations were carried out during repairs to the northern graveyard wall. This work showed that the proximity of the church itself to the graveyard wall meant that the foundations of the church were exposed. It was observed that face flint extended approximately 0.3m below the ground surface but that thereafter flint and mortar footings extended to a greater depth. In addition a coffin plate dated from the 1850s was also recovered.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 22754 08793
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

Watching brief: repairs to northern graveyard wall.
These repairs were undertaken in early 1987 and involved the excavation of boxed trenches to a depth of 3m plus on the interior of the graveyard wall.
This revealed two aspects of archaeological interest:
1. the natural chalk horizon was observed at intervals along the trench and its varying depth below present day ground surface recorded (information held on plan by NAU).
2. the proximity of the church itself to the graveyard wall meant that, on two occasions, the foundations of the church were exposed.
It was observed that face flint extended approximately 0.3m below ground surface but that thereafter flint and mortar footings extended to a great depth, probably on to the chalk. In addition a coffin plate dated from the 1850s was recovered and passed to the Keeper of the Bridewell Museum.
Staff fieldwork by B.S. Ayers (NAU).

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCHYARD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.

Related records

Site 2125Parent of: Church of St Laurence (Monument)
Site 2628Parent of: Church of St Laurence (Monument)
Site 1852Parent of: Church of St. Laurence, St. Benedict's Street (Monument)
Mon 697Parent of: Junction of Westwick Street/ Coslany Street (Monument)
Mon 1274Parent of: St Laurence Churchyard (Monument)
Site 1090Parent of: Westwick Street / Coslany Street Junction (Monument)
Mon 413Part of: St Laurence Church (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service