|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||All Saints' Church, Scottow|
This church is built of flint with stone and brick dressings and a leaded roof. It dates to the 14th and 15th centuries with later restorations, and is an interesting mixture of styles. The 15th century two storey porch has a vaulted ceiling with a green man centre boss and an early 18th century memorial tablet over the doorway. The slender 15th century battlemented west tower has diagonal buttresses, a contemporary west window and bell openings that have lost their tracery. The nave has north and south aisles with a clerestory above, the chancel being in proportion to the rest, with a large east window with flowing tracery. Inside, the rood beam can still be seen crossing the nave, a rare survival. The font is octagonal in 13th century style, but probably a copy, with an 18th century cover depicting four dolphins. A medieval altar slab in the chancel has been preserved in a case as a memorial, and not far away there is a small chalice brass to a priest. On the north side is a big obelisk to Davey Durrant (who died in 1759). The nave has box pews, wall paintings and a 17th century double-sided carved oak lectern brought in from a London church in 1876. The organ case is covered in a rich array of carved Renaissance panels, probably also brought in. Finally, there are two sets of royal arms, a vast one for William and Mary in the south aisle, and one to Elizabeth II above the south doorway.
|Grid Reference:||TG 2655 2374|
|Parish:||SCOTTOW, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Now mostly of two periods, which can for convenience be called Decorated and Perpendicular, but there is very little difference between them. Possible traces of older work at west end beyond arcades, against base of tower; ridges and corbels in walls, and on each side blocked round-headed clerestory windows unlike present clerestory. Present tower is Perpendicular, flushwork frieze at base, belfry windows mutilated, tall arch. South porch Perpendicular, two storeyed, flushwork parapet, windows blocked, vaulted with bosses, headstops on doorway with traces of colouring, 17th or 18th century plaque replacing niche over entrance. North door blocked. Aisle windows more Perpendicular, chancel windows more Decorated, but priest's door into south aisle, which has window fitted around it, is ogee. Yet south arcade is Perpendicular with castellated abaci, whereas north arcade is Decorated. Windows have brick in arches. East end south aisle also has piscina and recess continuing line of east window. Rood stair; loft gone but rood beam remains, on arched braces. Arch-braced roof on nave and north aisle, with high collar beans. Altar platform raised on three steps. Piscina in east wall, another in north wall, unusually west of Durrant monument; most ornate one with Decorated tracery is set in sedilia in south wall. Window behind organ has been remade with stone mullions and transoms.
Font in 13th century Purbeck marble style, but (S1) is probably right in thinking it a copy. Cover with dolphins 18th century. Organ case and lectern are pastiches of 16th and 17th century foreign and English woodwork. Box pews. Part of St Christopher wall painting, also other fragments including black-letter text. Large Durrant monument 1757 by Storey. 18th to 19th century plaques. (S1) mentions a chalice brass 1520; there is a small
indecipherable brass southwest of altar, and several matrices. Many good 18th century floor tombs. Ancient altar slab preserved in a case in the chancel as a memorial.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG2623 A-E. |
|---||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049165. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of South Erpingham. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XIV. pp 338-350. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Website: Knott, S.. 2005. All Saints, Scottow. http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/scottow/scottow.htm. 8 May 2007. |
|---||Leaflet: Guide to All Saints' Church, Scottow.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. [Photograph of the Green Man in the porch of All Saints' Church, Scottow]. 22 January. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 658. |
Related records - none
Find out more...