Record Details

NHER Number:7692
Type of record:Building
Name:St Michael's Church, Sco Ruston, Tunstead

Summary

This church is thought to be redundant, and has a ruined west tower. The nave and chancel date to the 14th century, and have a bellcote probably built in 1860 when the church was partially rebuilt by Phipson.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2839 2183
Map Sheet:TG22SE
Parish:SCO RUSTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
TUNSTEAD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Ruined west tower. Church mostly 14th century, much repaired. Hertfordshire puddingstone in walls. Now derelict.
See report (S1) in file by E. Rose (NAU); also survey by A. Rogerson (NAU), and photographs by H. Ashley.
E. Rose (NAU), 11 May 1981.

April 1955. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Parish church, disused. Medieval. Flint, stone dressings. Tower, nave and continuous chancel, south porch, all ruinous. Tower now collapsed. Buttressed nave and chancel of three bays now roofless. 19th century west wall with bell-cote. 19th century south window three-light Decorated, south east window of c1300 with Y-tracery. 19th century north windows. 19th century south porch. All much obscured by vegetation.
Information from (S2).
E. Rose (NAU).

See (S3) and photographs (S4, S5) in file.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD? to 2100 AD?)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 22 SE 5 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 658.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Tunstead.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1981. Building Report. Building Report.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1304812.
<S3>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 54; pp 51, 101-108.
<S4>Photograph: EPV 1-10.
<S5>Aerial Photograph: BBC 9-20.

Related records

MNO6160Related to: Church of St. Michael Sco Ruston TUNSTEAD (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service