Record Details

NHER Number:7547
Type of record:Building
Name:Burgh Watermill

Summary

This weatherboarded mill dates to the late 18th/early 19th century. It was still in use in 1977 and the machinery was still intact by 1983. The mill was restored in 1989 for use in a television programme and was stated to have at various times produced flour, worstead cloth, animal feed and electricity.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 222 250
Map Sheet:TG22NW
Parish:BURGH AND TUTTINGTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

28 September 1977. Visit by E. Rose (NAU).
Multigabled weatherboarded mill still in use 1977 and machinery intact 1983. Late 18th/early 19th century - a mill marked on (S1).
Listed 1983.

1957. Sestertius of ?Vespasian found here, very worn.
Seen by R. R Clarke. (NCM card, find not seen since).
E. Rose (NAU).

Mill restored 1989 for use in a television programme. Stated to have at various times produced flour, worstead cloth, animal feed and electricity.
See (S2). Press cutting in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 15 May 1989.

Monument Types

  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1760 AD to 2050 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1760 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG2225 E,H,J.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Tuttington.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Rare frost freezes river. 8 February.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1990. Photograph of Burgh Watermill. 23 October.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Photograph of Burgh Watermill. 23 April.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. Camera call that rejuvenated old mill. 15 May.

Related records

MNO2724Related to: Burgh Mill The Street BURGH WITH TUTTINGTON (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service