|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Roman pottery finds|
A quantity of Roman pottery was revealed by a bomb crater in 1942.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1300 2308|
|Parish:||CAWSTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
1942. West side of Booton Lane: Roman pottery (Samian and coarseare) revealed by bomb crater.
Samian platter, probably Claudian, La Graufesenque 15/17 or early form 18: beginnings of ledge or 1/4 round moulding at edge of fragment, probably ledge, hence form 18.
Coarse ware (drawings in file) 1st - 2nd century:
1) Base, coarse light grey ware. Base moulded and slightly domed.
Burnished underneath base and for 6.7cm (2.7")vertically from base. Marks of smoothing tool fairly obvious on lower part.
2) Rim hard coarse grey ware, smoothed below rim and on inside of lip.
3) Small bowl, light grey soft micaceous clay. Decorated on shoulders with 2 shallow cordons limited by grooves and by 2 wide shallow grooves beneath girth. Burnished inside lip and on outside except for bulge which has faint roulette marks.
4) Coarse grey ware. Outer surface rather worn: rough cordon at base of neck.
5) Rim of large jar: coarse hard grey ware. Smoothed in outside lip..
6) Jar, soft grey coarse ware. Inverted stop on shoulder: groove to accentuate carination, shallow grooves below. Surface rough except on step, where traces of smoothing. Needham Type.
Rusticated: soft dark grey outside, light grey inside. See (S1).
T. Clough (NAU).
See (S2) for drawings.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 12 SW 4. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Cawston. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Thomson, F. H. 1958. A Romano-British Pottery Kiln at North Hykeham, Lincolnshire: with an Appendix on the typology, dating and distribution of 'Rustic' Ware in Great Britain. Antiquaries Journal. Vol XXXVIII Nos 1 and 2 pp 15-51. p 45. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Unknown. 1942. Drawing of Roman pottery fragments.. Film. 2:1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...