Record Details

NHER Number:7350
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of St Andrew's Church, Irmingland, Oulton


St Andrew's Church stood on this location in the medieval period. However a declining population in the village led to diminishing usage and the church finally closed in 1557 and it was mostly ruinous by 1602. A visit to the site in 1977 showed little indication of this former structure with only lumps of flint and some small bare patches paying testament to its presence.Cropmark visible on aerial photographs from 1993

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1343 2925
Map Sheet:TG12NW

Full description

Site of the medieval St Andrew's Church. The village had population of twenty-one in 1352; it was mentioned in Domesday and in Nomina Villarum. In 1329 there had been twenty taxpayers, and in 1332, twenty-one. Ten householders remained in 1428. In 1805 only two or three houses. No trace now. The church was in use until 1557, but in 1602 it was 'long since decayed and profaned'. In 1805 'no traces' remained. 1972 OS inspectors found a scatter of flint and brick.

Site visited E. Rose (NAU) 18 August 1977.
It is on the crest of a ridge. Stubble field, no indications except some lumps of flint and some small bare patches.
E. Rose (NAU/NLA).

Appropriate section from reference (S1) in file.

Outline of the church is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs. See (S2)
K. Powell (HES), 1 March 2011

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1602 AD)
  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Unpublished document: Transco/Network Archaeology. 2002. Network Archaeology Report No. 179. Bacton to Kings Lynn Proposed Gas Pipeline. Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment..
---(No record type): Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Oulton.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Publication: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology, 51. Microfiche 5:G12.
<S2>Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A.. 1993. TG1329/A - C.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service