Record Details

NHER Number:7327
Type of record:Monument
Name:Stinton deserted medieval settlement


The site of the medieval settlement of Stinton, mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The remains of a medieval moated site are still visible, though the house that now stands within the moat dates to about 1860.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1178 2554
Map Sheet:TG12NW

Full description

August 1977. Visit.
Moated site at the Old Rectory (now Sall Place). On the site of Stinton deserted medieval settlement, mentioned in Domesday. Previous owner claimed that a dwelling had stood on the site since 1250 AD. However Ordnance Survey say that the moat is only an ornamental feature surrounding a Georgian rectory.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 August 1977.

The house is not Georgian, but from about 1860. Pleasant but not architecturally important. The moat now begins by the entrance on the south where it is shallow. Becomes deep and fairly wide and curves round to the northeast. On the east is an unusual extension pool. North end comes to west again behind existing house. There is an isolated pond on the west. On the southeast there are three hollows between mounds under grass on the inner edge of the moat: mounds have trees on them. Ruins of two bridges contemporary with the house. Moat certainly pre-dates the rectory and is almost certainly medieval.
E. Rose (NAU).

Incomplete plan by [1] at scale of 1:500.
Stored with large flat drawings.
B. Cushion (NLA), November 1995.

Monument Types

  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---(No record type): Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Sall.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service