Record Details

NHER Number:7316
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Mattishall

Summary

This large church was mostly built in the 15th century. The turret was added to the tower in the 17th century and the south porch is Victorian. The church has been heavily restored. The 15th century painted rood screen dado depicts a Creed sequence, where the twelve apostles hold a sequence of scrolls containing the clauses of the Apostles Creed. The two painted roof panels in the nave, forming a canopy to the nave altar, are unusual 15th century versions of the Magnificat.

Images

  • All Saints' Church, Mattishall  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0534 1106
Map Sheet:TG01SE
Parish:MATTISHALL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

1 February 1978. Visit.
Early Perpendicular with many features still Decorated such as north aisle east window, south door, arcade niches. All heavily restored. West tower, flushwork, west window with embattled transom, small lead spire on top (later). North porch (blocked up) with carving, flushwork, three niches. Arcades have polygonal projections to nave; west bay is much narrower and more pointed than others. Blank wall arches to north echo this, but on south narrow arch over door is missing. Chancel has wide low sedilia in base of southeast window, next to cusped piscina with shelf. South chapel late Perpendicular addition, but continues blank wall arches; has simple piscina with shelf, lowered east window, priest's door, remains of large squint to chancel. South porch 19th century but with fragments of ancient piscina. Nave clerestory with window over chancel arch. Nave roof with hammerbeams and low tiebeams - eastern bays ceiled, old paint visible. North aisle roof original, also wall post figures on south aisle. Stone benches along walls remain under pews. Ornate chimneypot on nave northeast corner. Perpendicular font stem. Jacobean pulpit with 18th century tester made from a table. Painted rood screen dado. Decorated screen reset in south chapel. Poppyhead benches. 14th to 16th century brasses and matrices. Good 17th to 18th century floor tombs. Royal arms George II 1745, noted by (S1) in tower, now restored and hung. Chalice and paten, Norwich 1567; flagon, London 1788; paten, London 1798.
E. Rose (NAU), 1 February 1978.

1970s or 80s. Alan Carter Norwich Survey.
See (S2), which includes (S3).
T.E. Miller (NLA), 19 April 2006.

1980.
Copy of volume 1 of Erasmus' Paraphrase of New Testament, kept in chest here, permanently loaned to Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, 1980.
E. Rose (NAU).

The two painted roof panels in the nave, forming a canopy to the nave alter, are unusual 15th century versions of the Magnificat. (S4) has confused these with the later tiebeams dated 1617.
Information from English Wallpaintings Survey.
E. Rose (NLA), July 2000.

The south chapel was in fact built by a man who died in 1507.
E. Rose (NLA).

Dr Cotton dates the tower by a bequest to soon after 1383; work was in progress on nave 1445, tower 1453, a window 1458. Clock of 1500 discovered in tower 1977.
Information from A. Rogerson (NLA).

[1] states that she believes the pulpit to be the work of the same carpenter as the 17th century woodwork at North Elmham Church.
E. Rose (NLA), 15 April 2003.

The clock mentioned above, now stated to be 17th century instead of c1500, to be given on permanent loan to the Rural Life Museum, Gressenhall.
E. Rose (NLA), 3 July 2004.

June 2008.
Interior of the church redeveloped, including the installation of a stage and removal or shortening of pews.
See (S5) for further details.
H. White, (NLA), 1 September 2009.

February 2010. Watching Brief.
Details to come.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 19 February 2010.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOD SCREEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. [Photograph of All Saints' Church, Mattishall]. 26 April.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1993. Oak for tower of strength. 26 February.
---Correspondence: Rogerson, A.. 2004. Letter. Mattishall All Saints' Proposed Heating Scheme.. 26 March.
---Website: Knott, S.. 2006. All Saints, Mattishall. http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/mattishall/mattishall.htm. 14 June 2006.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2008. Church brings medieval inside right up to date. 19 June.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Clock is back on track after some awkward work. 30 January.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Serial: Bryant, T. H. Hundred of Mitford.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Carter, A.. Building Survey.
<S3>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S4>Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 535-534.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service