|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Little Fransham Old Hall|
A 16th century brick house, with 17th and 18th century alterations. The house has a moulded brick pediment with a stucco panel bearing the arms of Elizabeth I, who is reputed to have stayed here, and one room has a barrel vaulted plaster ceiling. An unusual barn to the south of the hall also dates to the mid 16th century, it may have been a service building converted to agricultural use, before being partially rebuilt in the 19th century as a threshing barn. Medieval and post medieval pottery have been found in the grounds of the hall.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9028 1183|
|Parish:||FRANSHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
2 storeys, 5 bays, brick. East gable has 4 blocked pedimented windows; upper two are partly covered by a central chimney stack topped by 2 octagonal chimneys, but this stack has itself a false pedimented window on it, so are the others falsifications? Also on the stack is a coat of arms bordered with vines, with 'E R', so is this meant to be the royal arms?, the date of house is right. There is another central group of 4 octagonal chimneys. All of these details at east end are east of gable in the north front, so west end may be earlier; the west gable wall is stepped down at rear, revealing another gable behind with blocked window. Chimney here is square. North front has a Georgian hooded porch.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 7 October 1976.
The coat of arms is meant to be the Royal arms, and it is said that Queen Elizabeth stayed here. There is said to be a tunnel 'just big enough for a man to crawl through' leading to the road (a drain?).
E. Rose (NAU)
(S1) adds for interior: pair of ovolo moulded stone fireplaces at first floor; evidence of partition between them. Various stops on beams. Fine 18th century staircase. Upstairs room with plaster barrel vault. 18th century roof. One 17th century panelled partition in roof with part of 4 centred arched door. Oak panelling formerly in house removed.
E. Rose (NAU) 15 March 1984.
At rear of house is an outbuilding/barn of unusual form, of same date, converted to threshing barn in 19th century.
E. Rose (NLA) 25 June 1993.
15 May 1994. Field walking finds.
From not very weathered soil in flower beds of garden at rear of Old Hall.
Medieval and post medieval sherds.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 25 January 1995.
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TUNNEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. L51. AJGR. |
|---||Archive: Fransham Field Walking Boxfile. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Fransham. |
|<S1>||Archive: Bolingbroke Collection. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1993. Building Report.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...